$6.99 CO2 tank refills - Denver/Boulder/CO Springs/Ft Collins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fosaisu

Reaction score
Just found an incredible deal on CO2 refills in Denver, thought I'd pass it on since the massive price-hike at Red Comet ADX went through.

Way to Grow (301 57th Ave in Denver, they also have locations in Boulder, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs, but I've only done refill at the N Denver location so probably a good idea to call your local location to confirm they do refills), an "Organic & Hydroponic Gardening" operation, offers 20lb swaps for $6.99, and will also refill any size tank for $6.99 (sounds like they generally have you leave the tanks and give you a pick up time later that day or the following day, but if you happen to come in when the guy is doing the daily tank refills you can wait and take yours home then).

Dropped off my two 10lb tanks earlier this afternoon, was told they'd be ready in an hour. They were ready to go when I came back to get them, and I was out the door quickly.

This is still accurate. Just went today and got a 20lb and 5lb filled for $6.99 each. They fill up-to 20lbs for $6.99. I would suggest calling them to see when the bottle filler guy will be in if you want your bottles filled on the spot. Took probably 20 minutes because there was a guy ahead of me.

Dumb question, but is it foodgrade co2?

Pretty sure it's good to go. Got filled over a week ago, had several people slamming off the keg this weekend and no one got a benzene headache. You might call them and find out...

Well, it's "weed grade" CO2 at any rate ...

HaHa :D. Fyi - I called and they told me food grade . I stopped by today and asked again. They said not food grade but close enough (Not paint ball grade). $3.93 to fill up a 5lb tank.

Just out of curiosity, will they exchange a tank that has an expired hydrostatic test? My tank is more than likely expired due to my hiatus from brewing. I think I did an exchange about seven years ago. I may need to take it back where I did the exchange. I think it was Air Gas.

Just out of curiosity, will they exchange a tank that has an expired hydrostatic test? My tank is more than likely expired due to my hiatus from brewing. I think I did an exchange about seven years ago. I may need to take it back where I did the exchange. I think it was Air Gas.

No idea what Way to Grow does with expired hydro tests. I waited for a refill rather than doing a tank swap, so no sure how closely they inspect the tanks. Probably worth giving them a call though.

But speaking of Air Gas, I got my O2 tank in a swap with them and they said they'll exchange it in the future even if expired without an additional charge. So that might be their policy for CO2 exchanges as well (or maybe that's not their policy at all and the salesman just wanted to save time by convincing me to do a swap instead of insisting on a fill of my brand new O2 tank).

Also not sure as I waited for mine to be filled as well. If you find out, please let us know!

Just in case they won't exchange, the Brew Hut in Aurora will exchange an out of date cylinder. Might cost more than a re fill, I don't know, but its something.

Just out of curiosity, will they exchange a tank that has an expired hydrostatic test?

I realize that I'm reviving a very old thread but wanted to let everyone know that Way to Grow is still doing extremely cheap CO2 fills and they will swap out a tank with an expired hydro test for no additional fee. I swapped out my empty, expired 20lb CO2 tank yesterday for a full 20lb aluminum tank for $7.24. Can't beat that.

Just dropped mine off. $17 for 15# tank. Said it would be ready in a few hours. I work a mile away so no biggie. Great deal.

To clarify their pricing; a swap is dirt cheap. $6.99 for 20lb refill. He said it's only 20lbs.. so you need a 20 pounder to start. I have a 15#, and It was $17, because it is done on the spot, out of their normal rotation, whereas the exchange program is what appears to be a few dozen 20pounders that are all done at a certain time.

Not sure the difference really.. why can't they just fill my 15pounder the same time as the 20 pounders? Anyway, 15 pound will last me ~50+ homebrew kegs, so at $17, I'm not complaining since I may only get that filled 1 or 2 more times in my lifetime.

To clarify their pricing; a swap is dirt cheap. $6.99 for 20lb refill. He said it's only 20lbs.. so you need a 20 pounder to start. I have a 15#, and It was $17, because it is done on the spot, out of their normal rotation, whereas the exchange program is what appears to be a few dozen 20pounders that are all done at a certain time.

Not sure the difference really.. why can't they just fill my 15pounder the same time as the 20 pounders? Anyway, 15 pound will last me ~50+ homebrew kegs, so at $17, I'm not complaining since I may only get that filled 1 or 2 more times in my lifetime.

That's still a good deal! I pay $28-30 for a fill or swap of a 20#.
$22-24 for a 15# refill.

Those 15# tanks are somewhat of a rarity, you just can't swap them anywhere, I've even tried to swap my 15# for a 20#, with some boot, but no takers. Now it needs to get hydrotested, which runs $25.

$7 for a 20# refill tells us something how lucrative CO2 business is for those charging 4x that amount...

Yeh my 15# pounder has a quite a story;

Last October, I saw this random listing for 15# co2 tanks. No picture, broken english description, selling for $4, free shipping. There were like 10 available. I said to hell with it and bought 3, total of $12.

7 days later, I get a big heavy box at the door and sure enough, inside is 3 shiny, seemingly unused 15# tanks, with the big black handle. I was floored. Not a mark, scuff or scratch on them. I look at test stamp, last test was the year 2000. This leads me to believe they were sitting in some warehouse for 15+ years. I immediately went back to the listing to buy them up; low and behold it was taken down. What was I thinking.. if I were to sacrifice $12, why not $40? I figured ebay would have refunded anyway.. DOH!

I bring em all in to centennial tap service and have them retested to make sure all is well. I gave them 2 (without paying for the retest) in exchange for a new 5lb full tank, a regulator, and a sanke tap handle. I kept the third, and paid the $20 retest fee on that one, with the intent to sell it. I have since decided to keep it, and now it's full for $17.

The too long didn't read version;
For $50, I got a full 15lb tank, a full 5lb tank, a taprite regulator and a sanke tap. Both tanks retested last year. All thanks to a once in a lifetime score on eBay.

FYI - Grow Warehouse in Colorado Springs (Reliable Circle location) will fill CO2 for <$5...even 5lb bottles....the other locations only fill larger sizes.

Update on Way To Grow, they're now charging $15 to fill 10lb tanks, but will do it in 5 minutes while you wait. Might be cheaper to do 20lb tanks since that's their primary business.

I called around and MileHydro will do refills on any size tank for $5, but if you want to refill, but you have to drop it and pick it up ~ 1 week later (they send tanks out to be refilled). They do swaps as well for $5, but I'd imagine they generally only have 20lb tanks in stock. Their guy also does hydrotesting for cost, ~ $10. I'm going to try them out this week, will report back.

Last edited:
I have been going to Centennial Tap for a few years now. #20 is $30 I think. I used to go to Way to grow but they only want to do an exchange. I had it refilled there a few time but the lat time they told me that that was the lat time they would do a refill. I bought my tank new and prefer to keep it

I have been going to Centennial Tap for a few years now. #20 is $30 I think. I used to go to Way to grow but they only want to do an exchange. I had it refilled there a few time but the lat time they told me that that was the lat time they would do a refill. I bought my tank new and prefer to keep it
I work in between centennial tap and another place but just a few miles up the road near 70/25 called denver syrup and bar supply, they refill my 15 pound tank for like $14. I've browsed centennial taps stuff in their waiting room there, it's really expensive. They def. seem to cater more to the industry with their CO2 service, not so much to homebrewers.

Update on Way To Grow, they're now charging $15 to fill 10lb tanks, but will do it in 5 minutes while you wait. Might be cheaper to do 20lb tanks since that's their primary business.

I called around and MileHydro will do refills on any size tank for $5, but if you want to refill, but you have to drop it and pick it up ~ 1 week later (they send tanks out to be refilled). They do swaps as well for $5, but I'd imagine they generally only have 20lb tanks in stock. Their guy also does hydrotesting for cost, ~ $10. I'm going to try them out this week, will report back.

MileHydro is awesome - leave 5# tanks a week or two and get it filled for $5, 20# tanks are always available for swap for $5 as well

Just want to keep this rolling for any newcomers in Denver area. Just stopped by Way to Grow, and 20lb swaps are still $7.

I just scored an old steel, rusty 20lb tank on FB marketplace for $20. It was stamped in 2015, so I knew I wanted to swap it soon so I didn't have to pay for a test. Way to grow took it, no hesitation. It looked like a piece next to their shiny AL tanks. Honestly, when the guy put my tank on the empty crate next to the others, I could easily tell mine wasn't 20 lb. It was a inch or two shorter and smaller diameter. I'm guessing it was 15lb. They didn't seem to notice or care.

What a deal. I have a 15lb tank at home for my keezer, and I pay $15 for it to be filled. I may use this 20lb now, and use my 15lb for cleaning or other one off uses. Every time I get a leak, I have to go fill it, now if a leak occurs, it's only $7 instead of $15.

+1 for Way to Grow. It's actually more expensive to get my 5lb tank filled than it is to swap out the 20lb haha. Anybody looking to buy my 5lb? lol

I just paid $36 for 50 pound refill, plus $5 haz fee, and ~$4 for taxes - zip code was 95610.

Since oxygen is the killer of beer freshness I'd be really nervous about the level of O2 in that cheap CO2 being sold for growing.

Food grade is only 99.90 so it's not that great for beer. But hey if you think it's good then who am I to rain on your parade.

and sanitizer only has to kill 99.99% of stuff....but i have to pay $27 a year for my co2......It's not the money that i hate spending though, it's having to carry the tank....lol

I'm not so sure this is a real thing....it all comes from the same supplier's and I feel like we would have heard something about this

Stopped off today at WayToGrow on S Santa Fe and got 2) 20 lb CO2 tanks swapped for $15.40 including tax.
I just bought the 20 lb tanks through Craigslist for $50 each.
So, 2 full tanks for less than the price of a new empty tank ;)

Stopped off today at WayToGrow on S Santa Fe and got 2) 20 lb CO2 tanks swapped for $15.40 including tax.
I just bought the 20 lb tanks through Craigslist for $50 each.
So, 2 full tanks for less than the price of a new empty tank ;)

How will you live with that 0.10% oxygen in your beer? :eek:

Back