Smack Pack Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cravej

Reaction score
It's my first time using Wyeast and I cannot break the internal nutrient package. I pushed it into the corner and smacked it, but it is still intact. should I just warm it up to room temperature and pitch it into a starter? And throw out the nutrient pack?

Sometimes the nutrient pack can be tough to break. If you can't get it to break proceed as normal, pitch the yeast and cut the nutrient pack open with some sanitized scissors and pitch that along with the yeast.

Do not open pack prior to pitching; that is a major contamination risk in the meantime, and it is not necessary. Place the pack on a counter top or table, with your fingers work the nutrient pack to the corner of the smack pack. Put one palm over it, place you other hand on top of that hand like you are going to start compressions, then press down with your palm keeping the nutrient pack toward the corner with your fingers. That should do it. After if pops, shake it up. Sterilize the scissors and the outside of the pack before cutting an pitching on brew day. You can do it!

Place the pack on a counter top or table, with your fingers work the nutrient pack to the corner of the smack pack. Put one palm over it, place you other hand on top of that hand like you are going to start compressions, then press down with your palm keeping the nutrient pack toward the corner with your fingers. That should do it.
I tried that, but it didn't work. I'm going to make a starter tonight, with or without the nutrient pack.

Latest posts

Back