accurate hydrometer read w/split pot boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as long as the proportion in each pot is exactly equal. Then take both reading, combine them, and divide by two. If they are got equal then you need to know the exact amount and make it into a ratio taking into account the portion of the whole and then your basically sol

Well, when I used to split my boil, my SG readings were equal. I did half my first runnings in each pot, and then half my second runnings in each pot. The reason I did this was not just to take SG readings, but because I wanted the SGs roughly equal to plan the hops utilization. Remember, in a lower gravity wort, the hops utilization is improved. So, I didn't want first runnings in one pot and second runnings in the other.

Now, if you did it that way, with the runnings separate, the only thing I can think of is what Arneba said.

It's really tough working with a split boil if you want both to be equal in every respect. I would try to find a Sanke Keg and cut the top and you will have a very nice boiler. They are very easy to cut as the metal is not that thick using a cutoff wheel and a wooden fixture to hold the grinder. Once you have tried a keg as a boiler you will wonder why you resisted doing it for so long. Heating outside does not heat up the house either.

I ferment in a Sanky too as there is only 1 container to clean. They are not as hard to clean as one thinks. I use a hand cart to move full kegs and to put them in the fridge. Use a blow-off hose as you would for a carboy.

It's really tough working with a split boil if you want both to be equal in every respect. I would try to find a Sanke Keg and cut the top and you will have a very nice boiler.
I bet if he is doing a split-boil, then he is working on the stovetop. A keggle might not work for him.

I did split-pot boils, and never really worried about the pre-boil gravity. Once you have boiled down to your target volume, you should have enough room in one of the pots for all the wort. Just take your gravity there. You can do some last minute adjustments then, if necessary.

I bet if he is doing a split-boil, then he is working on the stovetop. A keggle might not work for him.

correct. I have a 5 gal pot and a 2 gal pot. I get 4.5 into one, and 1.5 into the other, so I can get 6 gal (maybe slightly more) of runnings, and I boil it down. I'm not planning on changing to a propane/big pot setup anytime soon, and other than having really no clue what's going into the fermenter, It's fine for me.

I suppose I could wait until the end, and get MOST everything into one pot, and bump it slightly if necessary, but I still wouldn't get an accurate read, because since the pot is EXACTLY 5 gal, I can't get everything in it. I either:

1) end up w/some wort in the second pot or
2) have to top off with cold water

or both.

Therefore, the gravity reading would be only for whats in the fermenter already, and no possiblity of adding DME. right?

The other option is that you concede to your equipment limitations and you only do 4 gallon batches. With some foam control drops (see here), you could easily boil everything in your one 5 gal pot and avoid all the hassles of the split-pot boil.

If you were REALLY careful, you might even get 4.5 gals in your pot. But you would DEFINITELY need some foam control drops (and some bravery too boot!). :)

Back