Think I killed my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Reaction score
I started a yeast culture yesterday and it wasn't until after that I realized the tempertature must have been well above 75f/24c. I didn't have a thermometer handy and was guessing. Will this have killed my yeast? I pitched the yeast last night (about 9-10 hours ago) and there is nothing happening in my fermentation bucket.

If it did kill my yeast am I able to purchase another liquid yeast and pitch it or will that ruin the beer?

Thank you.

I'm not sure as I didn't have a thermometer handy but it would have been above 30c for sure, beyond that I can't say.

Most yeasts can handle 35C without too much trouble (this is the temperature you hydrate dry yeast at), but they might take 24 hours or more to get started. If nothing is going by tomorrow, get more yeast and re-pitch. Get the same yeast if possible.

david_42 said:
Most yeasts can handle 35C without too much trouble (this is the temperature you hydrate dry yeast at), but they might take 24 hours or more to get started. If nothing is going by tomorrow, get more yeast and re-pitch. Get the same yeast if possible.

Thanks, I hope it wasn't above 35C. If it was and I need to pitch new yeast will it have a great effect on the taste of my brew?

Repitching yeast won't affect the taste of your beer, but if your beer is not actively fermenting it is vulnerable to other organisms which could affect it. Try to be as sanitary as possible and hopefully it's just a slow starter.

Back