Info on reverse osmosis filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alemental

Reaction score
I am getting very tired of running to the store with a bazillion water jugs to refill at their RO machine. I am really starting to want to just get my own filter and save the run around time. Trouble is, I don't know where to start. My water has way too much magnesium and bicarbonate; these are what need removing the most. I am not really worried about water for other household uses, brewing is my main concern.
Any suggestions which makes and models to look for? Good places to buy? features to be aware of? Good value models? Price range to expect? Any tips or knowledge would be appreciated.

I got an under the sink model from HD or Lowes( i don't remember which). They were both essentially the same, and around $200. Installation was pretty easy. The only complaint i have is the tank it comes with is only a gallon or two. Since RO is a fairy slow process you cant just get your water before brewing unless you have a tank to accomodate the volume. I normally just fill up 5gal jugs in the morning and at night to accumulate what i need a couple days in advance. I have heard that it is possible to upgrade tank size but i havent seen the need to do so yet.

I have an under counter RO system. The tank is a bladder based system where the filtered water entering the tank pressurizes the tank by compressing the bladder. As you drain the tank the pressure lowers until you just get a trickle. Since most home RO systems are less than 1 gal/hr it is easiest to just drain off a tankful twice a day until you have enough to brew. I can get about 2 gal out of my system twice a day. With a large enough tank you could get all of your brew water in one tank but it would take a couple days to recharge.

One thing to be aware of is that RO water is NOT appropriate for AG brewing. You will need to add back some minerals for mash and sparge water in order to get the correct pH.

Craig

Check out thefilterguys.biz, good prices and they are VERY helpful. I have a fairly hefty 5 stage filter for my saltwater aquarium, it is a RO/DI which you don't need for beer water. A basic RO filter from that site will cost you a lot less than buying it elsewhere. All you need is the sediment filter, carbon filter then an RO membrane. I recommend getting the inline TDS meter so you can see what level of crud is in your tapwater, but mostly to make sure you see 0 TDS on the outlet side of the filter, when it starts creeping up, its time to replace the cartridges.

You want something like this: http://thefilterguys.biz/ro_systems.htm

If you have copper cold water pipes, they make a nifty self piercing valve so you can turn flow on and off. I usually use the push on fittings (like the white and blue ones at the bottom of the page) for flow control though. Be aware you will have a waste water line that needs to go outside or to a drain, you produce at least as much waste water as you do filtered water.

Alemental said:
jcp317,
When filling your 5 gallon jugs and you hit bottom on your tank, does the flow stop? Or does it just slow down?

Flow slows down significantly to a trickle at best.

Be sure and check your local water supplier to see how the water is disinfected.

If they use Chloramine now or plan to switch to it in the near future you'll want a filter that is capable of removing it. Chloramine if rapidly becoming the disinfectant of choice.

RO won't remove chloramine.

Don't make any assumtions when it comes to filters.

All filters are not created equal. And various carbon filters remove varying levels of chemicals including chloramine.

Always refer the manufactors specs.

If you're running an RO screen without particulate and granular carbon filtering before the RO unit, you might as well not bother.

mr x,
you have hit the target with that place. Prices are good, even with intn'l shipping, and the filters look like what I need. I suspect that I will be ordering as soon as I "filter" a bit more knowledge thru my brain.
thanks,
Bob.

By the way,The cloromine thing is not an issue as I use strictly well water. Unwanted heavy metals may or may not be present, though.

If it's for brewing use, make sure you upgrade to a 7gal storage tank. This way you have to collect water only twice. The night before I collect my strike water and on brew day, after douging-in I collect the sparge water. The 7 gal tank easily holds 5 gal netto.

Kai

I find it no big deal for me. I bring in 2-3 5 gallon water jugs to Walmart and fill them up for .33 a gallon. To me this is easier then dealing with the up keep on a RO system.

Brew-boy said:
I find it no big deal for me. I bring in 2-3 5 gallon water jugs to Walmart and fill them up for .33 a gallon. To me this is easier then dealing with the up keep on a RO system.

In my area, I have yet to find where I can refill 5 gallon carboys, including Walmart. One gallon refills only. But even with 5 gallon refills, it is still an hour or whatever of running around picking it up. This is what I really want to avoid. I like the idea of just filling up at home.

One thing to keep in mind with the larger tanks is that you don't want to keep them full for too long and have the water stagnate. The filters and RO is taking out the few things added to keep the water from getting nasty. If you only plan to use this for brewing, add a valve before the tank that you can close off before draining your brew water. That way you won't be storing the water over extended periods.

You can also use big bucket with a float valve to collect RO the day before brewing. They make them for aquarium use. Google "Kent float valve". I used this setup to top off my reef tank automatically.

I've never had a problem with water quality from my small tank (4.4 gallons), even when I've been away for months. The system I have uses a post carbon filter for water from the pressure tank, so that may be eliminating any flavor issues if they exist.

If we are talking about water that's strictly for brewing and brewing alone that's one thing. And bacterial build up is not an issue because the water is boiled.

Now if we are talking about water that will be used for both drinking water and brewing then the issue of storage tank size, how long your filtration system can go between filter changes and whether you have a problem or not is an entirely different story.

I personally think that the filter guys make a good product but some people have additional considerations beyond that of just beer and aquairums for those people I suggest looking here:

http://doultonusa.com/commercial_industrial_filters/commercial_and_industrial_water_filters.htm

I am not recommending buying from these folks merely suggestin that we should be aware that bacterial build up is also a consideration and silver impregnated filters signifigantly reduce that bacterialogical build up.

Many perhaps most of us lack the means to test for bacteria. That's usually why we need to change filters as often as we do. Not because the filter has stopped preforming but because the bacteria starts to build up beyond a level that most informed people would consider healthy.

My other two cents on RO is that I highly suggest you NOT plumb the waste water into your sewer lines. In case anyone doesn't know, these systems spit out 80% of the incoming water down the drain while you take your "pure" 20%. It's much more eco friendly and thrifty to collect it for use in washing machines, dishwashers, plant watering, etc.

Back