WB-06 Not Making a Good First Impression

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Well, I had to give it a chance, and it's starting to piss me off. This is my first batch made with Fermentis' WB-06 wheat yeast. A weizenbock, started at like 1.072 and dropped to 1.019 before stopping. Racked her to secondary, and lo and behold, I get the ol' "slowly offgassing CO2" bullsh*t. This happened once before, on a porter made with US-05, but even then, it was because it finished high and I added more yeast in secondary. This time, I dunno, it's just being mean to me. I'd like to bottle it, but I'm afraid. For the past 2 or 3 weeks, there've been tiny bubbles rising to the top constantly, and there's what looks a little like krausen from all the bubbles. The OG has dropped about 3 points during that time, so it appears to be slowly finishing.

The last time I went through this bullsh*t, it took a very long time...but the beer tastes great right now and needs to be drank! Stupid lazy yeasts.

[/rant]

Well, you're 95% of the way to kegging, aren't you? Let it sit for a while, give it a taste, and if you like it but are still worried about bottle bombs toss it in a keg and force-carb it.

the_bird said:
Well, you're 95% of the way to kegging, aren't you? Let it sit for a while, give it a taste, and if you like it but are still worried about bottle bombs toss it in a keg and force-carb it.

That's the plan, brother...:D Like I said, it tastes pretty damn good, dispite o'flan's thoughts to the contrary (WRT the WB-06)

I wouldn't say that's a bad impression though. Despite O'Flannagans experience, I have been able to get what I want out of this yeast and will use it again...

Soulive said:
I wouldn't say that's a bad impression though. Despite O'Flannagans experience, I have been able to get what I want out of this yeast and will use it again...

If the yeast takes 2 months to finish out, it's a bad impression IMHO. It might produce good beer, but come on!

I used it for a hefeweizen, and ended up giving the entire keg away. I wasn't happy with the taste at all. I let it condition in the keg for about a month and it still tasted really yeasty - no traditional hefe flafors. Strangely, the other guy I gave it to said he and his wife both really liked it. Maybe I'm just a picky EAC. :drunk:

Back