What type of Faucet should I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuckahoe

Reaction score
I am setting up a Keezer and when lookingup the Faucets I notice they range greatly in price. What are some of the qualities I should be looking for in Faucets?

The non forward sealing type tend to stick closed after a bit. IMO you should go with the forward sealing perlicks unless you want to buy faucets twice.

Depending on how you set up your kegerator you may also want to look at the 90 degree shank tail pieces. There are lots of options, post your setup, goals and the suggestions will come.

I'm in the camp that you shouldn't buy anything but a Perlick faucet, as crazy as that sounds. Personally I don't think everything on the planet has to be stainless though- all brass for me. The chrome brass ones are cheaper than SS, but fairly more difficult to find. That part is up to you, but I'm willing to bet that if you buy anything other than a forward-sealing Perlick faucet, you will end up replacing them anyway.

I just bought two of these for my kegerator:

http://www.kegglebrewing.com/Stainless-Faucet-and-Shank-Assembly_p_181.html

(BTW, it's about $1 cheaper to buy the faucet, shank, and assembly all together rather than individual components (go figure))

Did a lot of reading before buying and these got great reviews...long lasting and don't mess with the quality of the brew. I've read a lot of places the the chrome plated brass will give your beer weird off flavors over time. While I have a hard time believing it (as daskin might tell you above), I err on the side of paranoid so I went stainless. It was a $13 increase from the faucets of this same company, but since I found some of the other equipment used and REALLY CHEAP, I was OK with spending a little more on the faucets.

In the end, you're going to build your keezer and it's going to be the best frickin' keezer ever.

Best of luck
WjR

I love my 525SS and 575SS faucets. Sure, you can get the PC version, but I figured that I'll never (ever) need to replace these. I'm sure the PC are good too, I just like having that entire assembly as all stainless steel.

I've had personal problems with different metals (in watches) not holding up under use, which probably swung me that way. :eek:

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with any version of the 525 or 575 models. I've gone weeks between pours on these faucets and haven't had them stick one bit.

I just bought two of these for my kegerator:

http://www.kegglebrewing.com/Stainless-Faucet-and-Shank-Assembly_p_181.html

(BTW, it's about $1 cheaper to buy the faucet, shank, and assembly all together rather than individual components (go figure))

Did a lot of reading before buying and these got great reviews...long lasting and don't mess with the quality of the brew. I've read a lot of places the the chrome plated brass will give your beer weird off flavors over time. While I have a hard time believing it (as daskin might tell you above), I err on the side of paranoid so I went stainless. It was a $13 increase from the faucets of this same company, but since I found some of the other equipment used and REALLY CHEAP, I was OK with spending a little more on the faucets.

In the end, you're going to build your keezer and it's going to be the best frickin' keezer ever.

Best of luck
WjR
I personally would have spent the money on Perlick's, chrome or stainless the forward sealed faucets DON'T stick...............Good luck

I personally would have spent the money on Perlick's, chrome or stainless the forward sealed faucets stick...............Good luck

You sure about that?? Don't you mean they DON'T stick?? Haven't had any sticking issue with my 525 or 575 faucets. Even if they go weeks between pours.

Perlicks here. They even have some fancy ones that can help you adjust to your carbonation level, etc. With "flow control" valve built into them.

Thanks for the advise. I am going Perlicks stainless steel. It seems I have conflicting advise on the forward sealing. Do I want or not want to use forward sealing?

Thanks for the advise. I am going Perlicks stainless steel. It seems I have conflicting advise on the forward sealing. Do I want or not want to use forward sealing?

If you're referring to beaksnbeer's comment, I'm sure if he had previewed that he'd have corrected it before posting.

I have a half dozen 525ss faucets. They never stick...

Cheers!

Go with the forward sealing Perlicks. The 525 and 575 models. I have both and have not had a single sticky faucet in well over a year of use.

I install draft systems from a living... Personally I prefer Micromatic over Perlick on almost all of their products and customer service. Take that for what it's worth but both companies standard beer faucets are similar whether brass or ss. Micromatic has released what will become their standard faucet over the next year- it's their new look with 304 ss and it is pretty awesome. 32.95 on their website. But like I said both brands are similar on their current standard faucets.

Btw a sticky faucet can be fixed by a hot- wet wash rag usually- just wrap it around the faucet so it gets warm and wet...

I install draft systems from a living... Personally I prefer Micromatic over Perlick on almost all of their products and customer service. Take that for what it's worth but both companies standard beer faucets are similar whether brass or ss. Micromatic has released what will become their standard faucet over the next year- it's their new look with 304 ss and it is pretty awesome. 32.95 on their website. But like I said both brands are similar on their current standard faucets.

The LHBS' I've visited don't have Micromatic faucets/hardware. I don't recall seeing any available from the normal online vendors either (the big ones). I'm not going to buy a faucet without being able to check it out, in person, first.

Also, commercial/bars have rather different requirements (and use levels) than home brewers. Where a bar could go through a Perlick faucet in x years, chances are it will last us a lifetime (or more). Hell, a single bar faucet probably gets more pulls in a day than mine get in a month, or several months.

For the homebrewer I recommend Forward Seal. A bar or event jockey box doesn't need them because they pour so often that the faucets don't have a chance to get sticky.

Perlicks here. They even have some fancy ones that can help you adjust to your carbonation level, etc. With "flow control" valve built into them.

I have one of these (Perlick 545) with the flow control and I love it. A couple of times I accidentally overcarbonated my beer, but I just turned up the resistance on the faucet and didn't miss a beat.

Forward sealing faucets are nice for a homebrewer, which I am. However, I still prefer micromatic over Perlick. As long as your beer system is cleaned, and used on a almost daily bases there shouldn't much sticking. Just my opinion. Nothing wrong with Perlick...

I think micromatic makes great products, but for a homebrew application forward sealing faucets are the way to go. Is the new micromatic forward sealing?

Btw a sticky faucet can be fixed by a hot- wet wash rag usually- just wrap it around the faucet so it gets warm and wet...

That can help if it's barely sticking. Spraying hot water up into the faucet helps too. If you go several days at a time without pouring a beer, standard rear sealing faucets will get stuck bad enough that the only fix is completely removing it and soaking in hot water. Forward sealing faucets don't have this problem.

Forward sealing faucets are nice for a homebrewer, which I am. However, I still prefer micromatic over Perlick. As long as your beer system is cleaned, and used on a almost daily bases there shouldn't much sticking. Just my opinion. Nothing wrong with Perlick...

I don't pull from all three taps every day. There are times that I go weeks between pulls on one of them (or two of them). So, the forward sealing is of real benefit for me.

BTW, doesn't matter if the micromatic is as good, or even better, if they're not available via our normal supply channels.

No the new micromatic faucets are not forward sealing- there is a reason for that...
We as brewers spend time and money on maintaining the flavor and quality the way we intended it in our beer. Forward sealing faucets allow the faucet to fill with beer, outside of the refrigeration unit, and most have plastic components. This gives a not as sanitary environment for which bacteria likes to live and grow in- yes it is a small amount but if you drink only once n a while it will effect your beer.

I find it hard to believe that the worlds largest producer of beverage dispensing products are not easily available. Many brewers/ people order online once in a while and they have an online store. I dot mean to sound like a smart ass but its simple and probably cheaper then a Perlick faucet in a homebrew store. I'm not knocking per licks forward sealing faucets- their just not my style

Sorry all, a little to much and thoughts get messed up. The faucet and shank that the OP was showing is a Perlick but a rear sealing type that are still subject to sticking, Only the 425's, 525's, 575's are foreword sealing

No the new micromatic faucets are not forward sealing- there is a reason for that...
We as brewers spend time and money on maintaining the flavor and quality the way we intended it in our beer. Forward sealing faucets allow the faucet to fill with beer, outside of the refrigeration unit, and most have plastic components. This gives a not as sanitary environment for which bacteria likes to live and grow in- yes it is a small amount but if you drink only once n a while it will effect your beer.

I understand the theory, but I'm not sure it holds up. First, if you're cooling the shanks properly, the faucet and beer inside should stay pretty cool as well. People using standard tower kegerators without any tower cooling are going to have more warm beer in the lines than the amount of beer inside of a forward sealing faucet, and it's likely warmer too. Second, warmer temperature alone doesn't mean unsanitary, nor does it necessarily lead to infections and nastiness in the lines. In many parts of Europe beer is stored and served warmer than the temperatures you're talking about inside the faucet. Yes, infections grow slower at colder temps, and there are some bacteria that only grow at warmer temps, but the overall design of standard faucets is actually less sanitary than forward sealing faucets, meaning the chances of an infection developing are higher.

From Perlick:
An innovative seat-forward design makes it the most sanitary faucet available anywhere. Because the internal parts are not exposed to air, the traditional sticking of the handle lever and build up of bacteria is eliminated.

I've used all sorts of brands and styles of faucets, and IMO the perlick claim that they're the most sanitary faucet on the market is true. And a quick look at the internals of both types makes this pretty obvious to me. I'm not trying to convince you to use forward sealing faucets, or claiming that they're better for everyone, but I don't buy your claim that they're less sanitary than standard micromatic faucets.

Most bacteria grows at temps of 42 degrees or higher. If your fridge is at 38 and your room is at 72 I guarantee your faucet and the small amount of beer in it is higher then 42. That being said I think the effects will be pretty insignificant unless you are very very anal. I just believe if you take care of your system why add that small chance when you can get a faucet without that chance, this includes rear sealing Perlick faucets as well... I just prefer the micromatic. I think as long as you use it ever other day and take care of your system you won't really need a front sealing faucet. And you are right a tower would be worse unless you installed a small blower fan to circulate the air throughout. I think either way you go stainless and rear sealing if you can use it often enough and take care of it. And if you do so I believe micromatic makes a better product JMO.

While the temperature increase can be true (IMO) if you're using a tower, I don't think it holds true when you have the faucets going into the fridge/freezer wall/door. Plus, the fact that it's not so easy for bad things to grow in beer adds to that protection. My faucets are directly in the fridge door, and I don't open the door unless I absolutely have to. Which is typically when I'm cleaning (and sanitizing) the lines or putting another keg into the fridge.

Also, IF this was true, Perlick would have heard about it and changed the design to make it not an issue. Since we don't have Perlick owners ranting about this all over the place (I don't recall a single thread/post about this 'issue') on these boards.

o The only non-stainless steel bits in a 525ss are the o-rings. I don't think there's anything in the faucet that will contribute any flavors.

o If the system was clean to begin with, and the beer isn't contaminated, it's a bit of a reach to assume a bit of warmth is going to give rise to critters.

o I'd be surprised if you could fit more than a quarter ounce of beer in a 525.

Bottom line, folks have broken tap handles and even faucet levers on stuck rear-seal faucets. You never hear any of that with Perls...

Cheers!

o The only non-stainless steel bits in a 525ss are the o-rings. I don't think there's anything in the faucet that will contribute any flavors.

o If the system was clean to begin with, and the beer isn't contaminated, it's a bit of a reach to assume a bit of warmth is going to give rise to critters.

o I'd be surprised if you could fit more than a quarter ounce of beer in a 525.

Considering how 10 feet of 3/16" ID hose holds only a couple of ounces, I'd be surprised if the amount in the faucet (and shank even) amounts to more than a small fraction of an ounce.

Bottom line, folks have broken tap handles and even faucet levers on stuck rear-seal faucets. You never hear any of that with Perls...

Cheers!

I think my take on faucets is being taken wrong... I think both front and rear sealing are fine faucets. Trust me stems do get stuck on Front sealing faucets as well ( I would know because I have fixed many in the sacramento area ( not nearly as many as rear sealing). Both seal the same way- washer partially in beer and partially out of beer. One way sticks a little more and the other way compromises your beer a little (very little). Most front sealing faucets have plastic slides inside. If you use the rear sealing fairly often and maintain it properly it will hardly ever stick. Mine very self only sticks and when if it does I don't just pull harder I wet it so it i sticks. If you really want the best of both worlds you can get a Rotary valve lever faucet which is the best of both worlds an looks pretty cool too!

I had no problems with the rear sealing faucets that came with my keg kit from kegconnection, although I had read up on it and sprayed Starsan in the faucet at the end of every beer drinking night. Within 2 months, I bought two 525SS faucets. If the keg kit wasn't a gift from SWMBO, I surely would have upgraded the faucets to begin with. Disassemble a standard faucet and a Perlick and you will be amazed at the difference in build quality.

[...]Most front sealing faucets have plastic slides inside.[...]

Citation definitely needed.

Perls have no plastic inside, just three O-rings that can contact beer (and one of those is the shank O-ring). The 525 is a marvel of simplicity - there's so little going on in these faucets it's amazing they actually work at all.

Now that Vent-Matic is history, who besides Perlick makes forward sealing faucets?

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Citation definitely needed.

Perls have no plastic inside, just three O-rings that can contact beer (and one of those is the shank O-ring). The 525 is a marvel of simplicity - there's so little going on in these faucets it's amazing they actually work at all.

Now that Vent-Matic is history, who besides Perlick makes forward sealing faucets?

Cheers!

I give you credit. We don't have any of these in our market that I know of. We do have one similar but with a plastic slide the 425s. And Perlick did install a faucet very similar that had 3 very flemsy o rings that would shift and leak at random. You had to have them in there just right to stay sealed- needless to say the esquire grill at sacramento airport called us out to replace these with I believe 18 standard faucets the old standard micromatic ones but I like the Perlick ones as well... IF these were the same faucets...

each has their pros and cons. It's really up to you to decide what is important. Personally, I have 525SS Perlicks. They will last forever, NEVER stick, and are low maintenance. They are more expensive but again I will NEVER replace them. I'm sure you can get a comparable life out of a rear sealing faucet if you take really good care of them (ie more maintenance).

I give you credit. We don't have any of these in our market that I know of. We do have one similar but with a plastic slide. And Perlick did install a faucet very similar that had 3 very flemsy o rings that would shift and leak at random. You had to have them in there just right to stay sealed- needless to say the esquire grill at sacramento airport called us out to replace these with I believe 18 standard faucets the old standard micromatic ones but I like the Perlick ones as well... IF these were the same faucets...

In return, I did find that Perlick did sell a version of the forward sealing 425 (which was designed by the Vent-Matic inventor) that used a plastic sliding shaft (the plastic "block" thing you mentioned). The 425SS model used a stainless steel shaft, as did a couple of other variants of the 425, but there were at least two variants that had the plastic block.

That said, with all the plastics we use between grain and glass, it'd be imprudent to assume that Perlick didn't at least use a food grade plastic for that block.

In any case, Perlick pulled the 425 from the market, apparently by agreement with the Vent-Matic designer. The 525 was designed around whatever patents applied to the 425 (which was pretty much a dead ringer for the Vent-Matic faucet). One result is the 525 doesn't even have a shaft, never mind a plastic one.

525ss.jpg

Like I said, it's kind of amazing these things work at all ;)

Cheers!

Back