second runnings beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyhawkins

Reaction score
I recently brewed the AHS Sticke Alt (all grain) and hit all the numbers finally:rockin:

I decided there was way too much beer left over in the grain bed and I should put the second runnings to good use. It was only a gallon but I fired it up and used some extra hops I had.
1/4 oz Northern Brewer at 60min (10.5% AA)
1/4 oz NB at 30min
1 oz Citra at 0
The gravity was 1.030 after boil

I use J. Palmers recipe calculator slide rule thing and it does not have capability for gallon sized IBU estimations. After I added the hops I realized the IBU's were way high using extrapolation.

My question is can anybody run those additions in their brew software and let me know what expected IBU's will be?

I'm getting just under 90 IBUs! And an estimated ABV of 3%

From what you have given, I get 127 IBU with BeerSmith using the Tinseth method.

My assumptions:
1 gallon beginning volume
0.86 final volume
1.026 BG
1.030 FG
Your designated hop additions

From what you have given, I get 127 IBU with BeerSmith using the Tinseth method.

My assumptions:
1 gallon beginning volume
0.86 final volume
1.026 BG
1.030 FG
Your designated hop additions
sounds about the same as mine above except I was assuming 1 gallon post boil.
In summary, yes OP was correct this beer is going to be way high on the IBUs :D

Thank you guys for the help.
Kylvester: you are correct initial boil was 1gal.
I remember a small dim lightbulb going off when I realized my mistake late that night. I had "sampled" quite a few homebrews during the process.
It's not experimenting unless you've had a few!

Perhaps this hop bomb will be half of a new blended beer.
I also realized I did not have a stopper to fit my gallon jug hope the foam works out. It's on the left in the picture.

image-1787692913.jpg

Back