Too late to purchase hop rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seohiosipper

Reaction score
I know I waited to late in the year to decide to grow my own hops and probably wouldnt get much from them this year if I do plant some. I would like to try to get some in the ground this year so they will atleast be established for a good harvest next year. My question is, does anyone know any place that still has some rhizomes, looking for some cascades (I know this is gonna be the hardest to find), Mt. Hood, Willamette, and Centennial or similiar ones. Looks like Freshhops has some left but they look to be out of Cascades. If anyone knows of any available sources of rhizomes it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!:mug:

If you can get them, better get'em in the ground quick. Growing season is ~120 days, which puts you into Oct.

Also, if you're in So. Ohio "for now", you might not want to bother...yield won't be that good in year 1 (probably worse given the late start), and if you're moving soon, you're probably not taking $10 worth of rhizomes with you...

Hmmm...

I wonder if I should start a few, and then when I move out (maybe 2 years?) I just leave them there as a nice, established present for future tenants.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get/grow rhizomes for Czech Saaz in Maryland? I seem to use that one a LOT for its nose/flavor, like in probably 60-80% of my brews.

Back