Beer Tasting Classes in Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiescins

Reaction score
Does anyone know of beer tasting classes in Chicago? I'm looking to really learn how to breakdown a bear and take proper notes etc... Right now I just know what I like and can pull a few flavors out and sometimes identify specific hops, but I would really like to hone this skill significantly. I'm not looking for a Tuesday night get drunk with cougers type of event, but a legitiment learn to taste beer experiance. This (Programs & Courses - Siebel Institute Professional Beer Tasting and Styles Course) is really what i want to do, but the $ and vacation time isn't happening, so I'm looking for an alternative.

...I'm looking to really learn how to breakdown a bear...

You might start with a large caliber gun to break down that bear. I wouldn't mess with 'em though!

Just messin' with ya. I would think the Siebel is the best one available. And, you living in Chicago and all makes it easier.

I saw that the Map Room (great bar) has a beer tasting class (The Map Room - Beer School). It's likely not going to be a the level you're looking for, but it will give you an opportunity to connect with Greg Browne who might have some ideas for you. I would bet you might learn something from him too.

Good luck.

How could you not want a get drunk with cougars type of event? It couldn't get much better than that!

You might learn something from the cougars too!

All kidding aside, johnnybrew's idea for the Map Room might be your best place to start.

I love HBT...

Only here can a thread begin with a question regarding beer tasting classes and end on the opportunities to learn and score with randy drunkin cougars! Awesome. :mug:

While we're talking about Chicago Bars... there are tons of good ones, but one of my all time favorites is the Hop Leaf (Hopleaf • Uptown, Chicago). Awesome selection, great atmosphere and usually good people. I met one of the last ladies I dated (just prior to meeting my wife) at the Hop Leaf. She was no cougar, but now a life-long friend. Oh yeah, bring cash - they don't accept plastic.

Another thought on beer tasting: I've had this idea for a while and try to follow the notion, but it gets hard: Work your way through the BJCP style guide. Find good examples of the style and keep notes. It's the only way you will remember what beers you had and what you tasted.

Enjoy the cougars at the MAP ROOM!

Back