What is your oldest beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm lucky if a 5g keg lasts 2 weeks. Bottled I think 09-15 of this year I have a beer that tastes like hand soap I've got two bottles left. That's my oldest.

I work too much to catch up on my pipeline and when I do, ill brew 2-3 kegs and throw em in kegs on the next brew day. Someday I'd like to work less than 70hrs/week and enjoy my hobbies.

I have a shelf full of bottles that are all over 5 years old. I know this because I have not bottled a batch of beer since 2006 (started kegging).

Every now and then I open one while I am brewing. I never drink the whole thing. The beers are still clean, meaning "not infected". However, the hops have COMPLETELY faded from all of them and they are all just big sweet malt bombs. At leats I know my sanitation was rock solid back in 2006.

A trippel that my dad and I brewed in 2006 to celebrate the birth of my daughter. We only open 1 bottle a year on her birthday, but I didn't think about that plan until I only had enough left to last until her 11th birthday...so I need to brew that recipe again!

I have one 6L TAD bottle of Ed Worts Haus Ale that is 13mos old. It is in my "aging" room in my basement.

Old Rasputin clone that I brewed in May 2011. Out of the 50 original bottles I have 3 16 oz. bottles left. One WILL make it to May 2012

A trippel that my dad and I brewed in 2006 to celebrate the birth of my daughter. We only open 1 bottle a year on her birthday, but I didn't think about that plan until I only had enough left to last until her 11th birthday...so I need to brew that recipe again!

Thats pretty cool. A week before SWMBO's scheduled c-section i plan to start a long term 5 gallon batch of wine for this same reason. Cool idea about the birthday.

I just found some bottles from various mid-2008 batches in a box and stuck a few in the fridge 2-3 weeks ago. I tried opening one of the tripels from that timeframe at our last homebrew club meeting, but it had gone pretty far south...no carbonation and waaaay too sweet of a finish for a tripel. In fact, I am still trying to figure out why that bottle was sweet, because I don't remember any of them tasting that sweet at the time. I remember them being fairly dry and with lots of banana esters, with some spice but not balanced with the esters.

I've got a case BW that is about 19 months old and 4 bombers of a Rye IPA'ish beer I made in Feb 2010, so about 22 months. Both had issues, so hopefully age will make them shine.

Not a home brew but super old. Its a Sam Adams Triple Bock from '97 I believe. Super old, looked like soy sauce... Friend who collects beer gave it too me. He always hooks me up with rare stuff or east coast beers I can't get.

image-1165912977.jpg

Not a home brew but super old. Its a Sam Adams Triple Bock from '97 I believe. Super old, looked like soy sauce... Friend who collects beer gave it too me. He always hooks me up with rare stuff or east coast beers I can't get.

View attachment 40215

bought a case of that back in the day, think my brother still has one, stuff was horrible.

bought a case of that back in the day, think my brother still has one, stuff was horrible.

+1.

I just looked and I've only been brewing for 3 months. So I've made it 3 months so far. I bottled my 1st batch before going into kegging, and still have a 6-pack of that lying around. I'll try one at 6 months and then at a year.

milldoggy said:

Yeah I couldn't finish it, smelled like soy sauce too but the. Again it was from 97

I still have my first two which im debating to give away(my Dad) or try.My third which was a pumpkin (experimental recipe almost out of my a$$)was excellent @ 9months which i didnt think was too great up until then.Other than that i still have a handfull of each and all have aged pretty gracefully,even the ipa,pale ale.

Of course I keep mead and wine for as long as can keep hands off of it.

But as for beer I have a 2 and half year old bottle of Holiday style English Ole Ale. That won't be getting much older though because it's going in the glass this Xmas.

One year for me... a smoked wheat ale. It was delightfully hazy and hoppy even after a full year. The darn thing didn't taste oxidized and overall the carbonation was fabulous with a great head. 100 percent malt extract brew to boot. Surprised it was so good.

It had to have been the new zealand hop freshness.

I bought a case of Triple Bock in '97 with the idea of aging it and sampling one bottle a year. I thought I'd finished it around 2002, but then discovered a bottle on the back of a shelf in the brew shop in late 2009. Dark, thick, but considerable less sweet that it had been at the start, or even in 2002.

I wish Sam Adams would brew the stuff again.

Back