Sanke Keg Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should put this here or in "Equipment/Sanitation"

Anyway, wondering if anyone has suggestions for a manual Sanke Keg washer. I'm not having much luck with google. Everything seems to be these commercial-volume automated machines that are 10's of 1000's of dollars.

Wondered if anyone knew of a smaller size system... like one keg at a time type of thing that isn't automated. Just a simple, basic, keg washing system.

While generally I'm a DIY kind of guy, this isn't really something I was particularly interested in fabing myself so was hoping there was someone actually selling these things pre-made.

Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Let me answer this more clearly:
In order to clean your sanke correctly, meaning leaving the spear in while you clean, you will need at least 3/4 hp sump or utility pump for a 15.5g keg (1/2hp pump for 8g or less) to generate enough pressure to push the liquid cleaner/sani up through the spear and be able to hit the top of the keg as it sits upside down. The problem when using a cheap harbor freight pump is that the inside of these pumps has aluminum or other parts which can be broken down or rusted out eventually by the type of cleaner that you use. If you use PBW and there zinc coated screws holding the thing together inside, those screws might be rusted in about a year or faster. Then your serving keg will have a rusty taste to it. If you use sani clean or starsan you will speed this process more. If you use acid #5 or 6 - they will be destroyed even much faster and the aluminum will deteriorate breaking the seal of your pump and basically dismantling it altogether. That is how it went for me but I can't speak for anyone else.

If you are looking to clean your sanke kegs in an really easy cheap way - there really isnt one unless you pay for a spear removal tool.

The most basic way to clean them is to take the spear out, fill them with pbw or oxyclean for a while then rinse with filtered water. Lots of time and lots of water and cleaner wasted on this method.

If you buy the sanke spear removal tool (~$100) or make your own, take the spear out, then put them on top (upside down) your pump in bucket cleaner (if you have set that up yet that is) that you use to clean your cornies. That would be my best advice. However - to me - taking the spear out is a pain, because then you have to totally clean it too inside and out, and then you have to put it back in correctly, which can be tough the more you do it and the ring gets warped.

If you do this change your pump screws to stainless if they are zinc plated. Aluminum will stand up to pbw and phosphoric acid pretty well but finding aluminium screws in the right size could be tough for some.

If you don't mind spending ~300 plus you can do it my way --> http://youtu.be/YIUFSsy4c2Y

Latest posts

Back