Goose Island Matilda Extract Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd3

Reaction score
I've searched and searched, and even tried to revive a few old threads. I am wondering if anyone has any sort of Goose Island Matilda extract recipe?

I had it for the first time last night and it was amazing.

Anything close? Any kits close? Extract/specialty grains is my current limit, so I know my options are somewhat limited.

I don't know how to convert ag recipes, and my attempts to understand it are... well, yeah.

what do you guys think of this recipe? Regardless of if it is a perfect clone: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/381f3571/

Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract 7 lbs, 8 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 1 lbs, 0 oz
Caramel Munich 0 lbs, 8 oz
Styrian Golding Pellets 2 oz @ 75 mins
Saaz, US Pellets 1.75 oz @ 20 mins
Saaz, US Pellets .25 oz @ 0 mins
Wyeast Labs Trappist Blend - Private Collection 1 ea

I know the trappist blend is not a "saison" yeast but I want some of the wild characteristics the matilda seems to carry.

I brewed a Matilda inspired beer last night...all grain, though. Based roughly off of some of the matilda clone recipies in other threads on HBT, but modified to my taste and ingredients I had on hand.

Don't know yet how it will turn out, but can post recipe/results in a few months.

my recipe was basically 10# belgian pilsner malt and 1# caramunich II. you could sub DME for the pilsner and steep the caramunich (I guess that is what your recipe does). I reduced the bitterness charge and increased the aroma charge of hops, but kept with the styrian goldings for bittering and saaz for the rest. I am using french saison yeast and wyeast Brett L.

The recipe you have seems a little light on the caramunich to me, but otherwise okay. I believe on the Goose Island website they list the IBUs as 45...I think 2 oz of styrian upfront may go over that.

post back what you end up brewing and how it turns out. I was recently in Chicago on business and drank a TON of Matilda one night...very yummy!

Thanks for the input. I adjusted it some, noticing the SRM was pretty high on it, for the style

Ingredient Name Amount
Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract
7 lbs, 8 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
1 lbs, 0 oz
Caramel Munich
0 lbs, 4 oz
Styrian Golding Pellets
2 oz @ 75 mins
Saaz, US Pellets
1.75 oz @ 20 mins
Saaz, US Pellets
.25 oz @ 0 mins
Bitter Orange Peel - 1 oz.
.5 oz @ 10 mins
Wyeast Labs Trappist Blend - Private Collection
1 ea
8 ingredients. $38.87

I also added orange peal, as it seems the sophie(i know... different) has that and I like that characteristic. Hmmm... not sure about it though.

I don't know how to convert to extract but here is the All-grain I just whipped up. I had it the other night and it's based off that combined with some of the stats for it off the Goose Island website.

Matilda (Belgian Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.064 (°P): 15.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 7.03 %
Colour (SRM): 9.4 (EBC): 18.5
Bitterness (IBU): 32.3 (Rager)

86.96% Pale Malt
5.14% Cane/Beet (White) Sugar
3.95% Caravienna
2.77% Crystal 80
1.19% Crystal 120

1 oz Saaz (5.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.25 oz Saaz (5.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 oz Styrian Golding (4.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.25 oz Saaz (5.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 oz Styrian Golding (4.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 152°F for 75 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Pitch at 63 and let rise to 72 over the course of a week with Wyeast 3522 - Belgian Ardennes

Finish with Brett Brux 5112 or Brett L 5526 at kegging. If bottling, pitch brett in a secondary, wait a month or until gravity has hit terminal gravity, bottle as normal.

Anyone have any input on using the trappist blend for yeast instead of a saison then brett.

Someone had suggested it in a different post, so I am not sure.

I don't have personal experience with the Trappist Blend (isn't it quite old by now...thought it was in the Wyeast limited release in January, no?), but sounds like it would work fine on this beer. I used the 3711 french saison pitched with Brett L at the same time in primary. Most attempts I've seen have used the Belgian Strong Golden yeast + brett ...some do brett in primary with yeast, others in secondary...guess it depends on how much funk you want in your final product.

Let us know how this turns out!

I don't have personal experience with the Trappist Blend (isn't it quite old by now...thought it was in the Wyeast limited release in January, no?), but sounds like it would work fine on this beer. I used the 3711 french saison pitched with Brett L at the same time in primary. Most attempts I've seen have used the Belgian Strong Golden yeast + brett ...some do brett in primary with yeast, others in secondary...guess it depends on how much funk you want in your final product.

Let us know how this turns out!

I'm not terribly worried about the age of the yeast. I'll start a good starter(and this isn't a particularly huge beer). I've used year old washed yeasts before.

I've never used Brett, so I guess I'm just nervous. I have 3711 washed in the fridge, so I could just add it to Brett L. I like it to be pretty "wild".

I got some 2009 Sophie this week and it is definitely more mellow than the 2011 stuff.

took my first sample last night... down to 1.004! (mashed at 152, but added candi syrup a few days into ferment). Sadly there is little Brett character in it. Thinking about feeding it. should I use more candi syrup, or malto-dexterine? It would be nice to gain a little more body and/or bring out the brett...suggestions?

I am going to brew this on friday. I am using 3711 and brett L. When should I add the Brett L.

so...I added mine along with the yeast at the beginning of the fermentation. I don't think you will get much brett character if you try to add it in a secondary. HOWEVER, some people swear by adding at bottling (Orval style) and believe that over time you get significant brett character.

I still haven't bottled mine, but am a little disappointed in a few areas. 1) mine is VERY thin in body. GI Matilda has quite a bit of body. If I were to brew this again I would mash even higher (158-160). 2) I don't feel as though it has much brett character. I pitched quite a bit of Sacch from a starter, but only a wyeast pack of brett. next time I would step up the brett to help it compete in the primary.

YMMV

Hmmmm Have you had the dominique? It is much more intense and I think I might try to get closer to that. Part of that means I am considering fermenting almost entirely with Brett L. Any experience with that here? Perhaps start with Brett L and then add a big starter a few days later of the 3711. I don't know. Wilder is better...

jd3 said:
Hmmmm Have you had the dominique? It is much more intense and I think I might try to get closer to that. Part of that means I am considering fermenting almost entirely with Brett L. Any experience with that here? Perhaps start with Brett L and then add a big starter a few days later of the 3711. I don't know. Wilder is better...

I have a 100% brett l beer going right now. Link in my sig shows the pelicile that formed roughly day 20.

Hmmmm Have you had the dominique? It is much more intense and I think I might try to get closer to that.

:off: (but that's okay by me) I have not had...but happen to be in Chicago this week...any idea where to find? I am very close to the Goose Island Clybourn brewpub. I see they have Juliet on tap (would like to try that one too), but don't see dominique. also :off: but any idea if any of the New Glarus beers can be found in Chicago? I thought they used to be distributed in Chicago, but think they may have pulled back. Haven't had in more than a few years...

:OFF: (but that's okay by me) I have not had...but happen to be in Chicago this week...any idea where to find? I am very close to the Goose Island Clybourn brewpub. I see they have Juliet on tap (would like to try that one too), but don't see dominique. also :OFF: but any idea if any of the New Glarus beers can be found in Chicago? I thought they used to be distributed in Chicago, but think they may have pulled back. Haven't had in more than a few years...

The dominique seems very hard to find. It isn't even on the GI site right now.

I actually get it at a local beer bar in South Dakota....

It is a brett beer aged with oak. I think I might definitely add oak to mine...

Tonight I am trying the Boulevard Smokehouse Saison Brett..... I'm in love with this style of beer.

but any idea if any of the New Glarus beers can be found in Chicago? I thought they used to be distributed in Chicago, but think they may have pulled back. Haven't had in more than a few years...

No New Glarus in Chi. You have to take the train up to Kenosha to get some of that. One of the Brew Fests coming up was trying to get New Glarus but because they don't distribute in Illinois, they are having trouble setting that up for the day.

Everyone told me that Brett is super slow... well I did a start for 1 week, 2 quarts... And after 24 hours in my beer it is turning like nuts!

I added the Brett L and plan to add a starter of 3711 on day 4. I wanted the Brett to get a strong hold. Is this nuts? Should I just leave it alone now? Hmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
well...it's a little early for my beer (in bottles for 20 days) but I cracked the first bottle tonight (after 3 days in the fridge). tried alongside an actual Matilda bottle. I'd say I am miles off in my clone attempt. Mine is very thin bodied compared to Matilda and lacks the nice, full, fruity bretty L aroma of the real deal.

I'm thinking if I do this again I'd mash higher in temp (hoping to maintain additional body) and might do an all-brett ferment. I think that the mixed ferment didn't allow the brett flavor/aroma to develop enough.

I'll see if a few months of age will bring out more brett character, but I know it won't bring out more body.

How is anyone else doing on a clone attempt?

anyone know if GI uses oak in any way producing this beer? I assume it is not barrel aged, but perhaps chips or cubes in the fermentor? I think I might have been picking up some oak that I mistook in part for Brett flavor/aroma

jd3 said:
Thanks for the input. I adjusted it some, noticing the SRM was pretty high on it, for the style

Ingredient Name Amount
Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract
7 lbs, 8 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
1 lbs, 0 oz
Caramel Munich
0 lbs, 4 oz
Styrian Golding Pellets
2 oz @ 75 mins
Saaz, US Pellets
1.75 oz @ 20 mins
Saaz, US Pellets
.25 oz @ 0 mins
Bitter Orange Peel - 1 oz.
.5 oz @ 10 mins
Wyeast Labs Trappist Blend - Private Collection
1 ea
8 ingredients. $38.87

I also added orange peal, as it seems the sophie(i know... different) has that and I like that characteristic. Hmmm... not sure about it though.

How did this turn out? I tried Matilda (and a few others from GI - pere Jacques and Sophie stood out) and want to brew something similar. Any suggestions on a suitable dry yeast?

It turned out great. Not an exact clone but true to style.

I also made similar batch, using brett L and Brett B and oak to make a dominique clone. If you can get your hands on the Dominique i encourage you to try it! Hard to come by, though.

Latest posts

Back