Valentines, Shmalentines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't care much about Valentine's Day?

And no, I'm not a bitter single guy wishing for a girlfriend. I'm happily married with three kids and one more on the way.

While the kids - especially the 7YO girl - love it, it somehow does not resonate with me. It seems lame to go try to find a store still carrying roses after work just to pay $30 or more for a dozen that cost $10 last week.

Carnations and daisies for the little lady, and homebrews for me.

its all in what you make it...Valentines day doesnt have to be about overpriced roses and expensive restaurants, it should be about remembering why you're with your wife or girlfriend or whoever and enjoying time with them.

Am I the only one who doesn't care much about Valentine's Day?

And no, I'm not a bitter single guy wishing for a girlfriend. I'm happily married with three kids and one more on the way.

While the kids - especially the 7YO girl - love it, it somehow does not resonate with me. It seems lame to go try to find a store still carrying roses after work just to pay $30 or more for a dozen that cost $10 last week.

Carnations and daisies for the little lady, and homebrews for me.

Valentines day doesn't hold much in our house either. A. Although, not a holiday, it's another day where you're encouraged to run out and spend a bunch of money in order to 'prove' that you love someone. C-R-A-P. B. My wife and I believe that we have our own 'off days'. Days that things just go freakin' bad for whatever reason. Mine is January 17th. Hers is today. Although we've got through the past couple of years event free, these two days tend to hang heavy... :)

Carnations are great flowers and i usually get them for under 6 bucks. write her a note/letter and tell her nice things and compliments thats what they really want dude. really.They just want to feel good.I wrote a letter in a drunken inspired pre-valentined whim and she thought it was the best thing ever,It works trust me.

Don't need to spend money to give a nice valentines day gift for your significant other...

Step one... cut a hole in the box...

I don't know, while I bought my wife some flowers, she went to the best liquor store in town and bought some great beers for me. She put them in a flower box and called them a beer bouquet. Goodstuff. She even had a list of beer I'm cellaring and asked the owner for help.

It is a stupid made up commercial holiday. I convinced SWMBO to change our "Valentine's Day" to the day we met. At least it has some sort of meaning then. Plus flowers and stuff are cheap and theres a place to sit to eat.

Eh, we use it as an excuse to get a babysitter and have a date....although (this year included) we don't do it on the actual day. For one, our babysitter is married without kids, so let them have valentines day! Two, we hate crowds, and who wants to go to restaurants on the busiest day of the year. Screw that. We're having "Valentines" tomorrow night.

Bitter single guy here. Found out the girl I was seeing was seeing someone else at the same time last week. Also found out the store I ordered my belgian dubbel from didn't crush the munich or special B which was mixed in with the pilsener, so my dubbel is ruined because I already brewed it. Tastes like water.

Spent the evening eating pizza, drinking beer, and getting better acquainted with Shyla Stylez.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh. I wanted to do something nice for Valentine's Day this year, on the weekend. Ended up having to work at the High School Band Fundraising Carnival. Was supposed to go to Founders on Sunday, but overindulged at a local bar Sat night after the carnival, so we stayed home. Then wife plans day out next weekend with her mom and the kids, so I decided to take her out to a nice place for dinner last night.

Spent a LOT of money on very good food, then woke up in the middle of the night and purged it all. Don't know what it was. The only thing I had that she didn't have was the Prime Rib (RARE!)

So, take my advice, be as cheap as you can be on V-day! It feels much better throwing up a Stuffed Steakhouse Burger from BK than a nice piece of Prime Rib and a Founders Imperial Stout! (Smells better too.)

Back