Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did the EDIT post go (must be too old)??
Anywho, here's the latest update on mine (Here):rockin:

About 4 months after infecting it with sour dregs:
017-68126.jpg

016-68127.jpg

Here is my first unintentional infection. Not sure if it's a lacto or a pellicle. I'm just going to let it ride and see what I come up with. :mug:

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

Here is my first unintentional infection.
is that the same batch at different times? or two different batches?

Not sure if it's a lacto or a pellicle.
that doesn't make sense... lacto would be the infecting organism, as opposed to brett, pedio, etc. a pellicle is the weird/cool surface stuff. pretty certain you have a pellicle, now the question is what is creating it. no way to tell on appearances alone...

I'm just going to let it ride and see what I come up with. :mug:
may i suggest that you add a little brett, as an insurance policy. wouldn't take much, even the dregs from a single brett beer or sour would ensure that you have somerthing cleaning up in there in case it's pedio or something else that would benefit from the presence of brett.

Weirdest/most interesting pellicle I've had yet.

This is a pretty light golden sour, brewed in March of 2015. Wyeast 3278 Lambic blend, Lacto buchneri, and starters built up from Logsdon and Pfriem Brett beers, as well as some Jolly Pumpkin. Its pretty sharply acidic with a good amount of Brett in the background. I'm thinking that i'll rack it to apricot puree sometime real soon.

Resized952017062295163656.jpg

Funked-up kolsch, 6 months on apricot puree.

The crust ring at the top of the carboy was original beer height, some got thieved during a party a few months back.

20170702_091039.jpg

20170702_091101.jpg

20170702_091132.jpg

20170702_091235.jpg

So... I've been making a jalepeno cream ale. I added 2x jalepeno 3 times so far, but the 3rd time, this pellicle formed within about 2-3 days. It's very "waxy" looking. The second pic is the waxy type pellicle sticking to the side of carboy.

Any ideas?? If it helps...this wasn't supposed to be a sour beer... :(

Any thoughts?....

Had this when i went to keg a saison I fermented with omega c2c yeast. smells and tastes fantastic. Dry hopped with 2oz mosaic.

So... I've been making a jalepeno cream ale. I added 2x jalepeno 3 times so far, but the 3rd time, this pellicle formed within about 2-3 days. It's very "waxy" looking. The second pic is the waxy type pellicle sticking to the side of carboy.

Any ideas?? If it helps...this wasn't supposed to be a sour beer... :(

Any thoughts?....

wierd. my pics didnt actually attach when posted via mobile app. see attached pertaining to msg above. any ideas would be great. thanks!

IMG_20170704_205735.jpg

IMG_20170704_205756.jpg

Weird, that should have done the trick. I've had a kettle sour get a pellice after adding frozen fruit though, so I guess our normal processes for adding fruit and such isn't 100% foolproof.

Weird, that should have done the trick. I've had a kettle sour get a pellice after adding frozen fruit though, so I guess our normal processes for adding fruit and such isn't 100% foolproof.

i would have thought so too! so you figure it's "pooched" ? aside from letting it ride for a month, check gravity again and give it a taste?

i guess my question is...can it get a pellicle, but NOT be infected?...

i noticed milkin the funk in your signature. are you a part of MTF group? i was considering posting it up on there as well to see if anyone had any ideas/suggestions.

Sour Jalepeno Cream Ale anyone?...lol

thanks,

First unintentional infection --
In two vessels!

A starter for WLP500 harvested from a batch a while ago.
IMG_7177_zpsvbgbm3k2.jpg

And a tripel that was fine until I racked it to secondary.
IMG_7182_zpsvzp0nflo.jpg

Trying to retrace my steps and figure out what happened here. The flask was used to build up some Brett dregs a while ago and I thought I'd sanitized (and successfully used it) since then but maybe not.
The tripel might have gotten infected by that somehow (? Didn't use any of the same equipment...) or could be wild.

Well, solved the above mystery.

I went to add strawberry purée to the secondary in a strawberry/rhubarb Trappist single and found the pellicle below. I guess the invasive strain was in the jar of harvested yeast used in all three of these items.

This one is in a bucket, hence the much heavier pellicle.

IMG_7194_zpsbhqtfsin.jpg

I am just starting on my first sour and am using cantillon dregs for it which I harvested almost 2 months ago and stepped up the starter 3 times. I moved it to an airlock, but had a couple yeast starters nearby also under foil caps which now have a pellicle forming. I assume my cantillon starter blew over to them with the fan in the chamber and now they are quarantined.

I have since moved the cantillon starter and the infected yeasts out of my fermentation chamber. I assume the cantillon starter infected the other yeast starters (WLP530 abbey, Martin House saison, and Gigayeast Vermont IPA). At this point I will probably save them for one of my next batches which will be a lambic split up and using different yeasts to see the differences overall.

Do all the bugs transfer over when they infect something nearby like that? Could they be stuck in my fermentation chamber forever?

This is my first attempt at a sour and I am making the consecration clone kit with cantillon yeast. I am still learning about this side of things, but I assume I need to segregate my sours in the future from normal beers.

My first accidental sour I think came from a fruit fly, which had a thick pellicle for a year that never went away. IT smelled okay, but was only 2 gallons and I did not feel like testing it out. I know the airlock came off so I assume it was a fruit fly, but never confirmed. It could have been natural yeast though. I saw the same type of pellicle on some other yeast I threw out recently, but it did not look the same as my assumed cantillon infections.

Anyways, I will test out my cantilln yeast on an apricot/peach sour before committing to my consecration clone. It still smells like the kriek even after a few step ups so I assume it should be fine though.

Do all the bugs transfer over when they infect something nearby like that? Could they be stuck in my fermentation chamber forever?

It is possible, though I'd recommend you trace your steps as it's more likely that some equipment made physical contact with all your infected stuff.

It's probably not in your chamber forever but I would really deep clean it and spray it down heavily with sanitizer.

You definitely caught something in there. I'd pull a taste and decide if you want to keep it.

So I let it ride a few weeks....my once stable FG of 1.011 is now at 1.008. it tastes....not great. Looking to be a dumper :(

YkJt0fW.jpg

3 gallons of unhopped 1.032 wort with 2 shots of goodbelly mango probiotic. I held this at 95'F for 62 hours before boiling. pH dropped from 4.5 to 3.35 during that time.

This is being turned into a gose with lemongrass, lime and thai basil.

Here is my cantillon starter collection. My cantillon starter is in the corner, and I had some other regular yeast starters under foil caps that got infected probably when the fridge fan was blowing. they all seem to have the cantillon bug other than a couple things I cultured.

I have since quarantined them and may split them all up to see how they fare later. vermont ipa/cantillon, abbey/cantillon, and saison cantillon. For now I will just be pitching some of the actual cantillon starter in to my consecration clone when I rack to secondary.

Do I just pour out the liquid and add the dregs? Do chunks of pellicle matter? Just checking, this will be my first sour, and I am already worried I may have cantilloned my fermentation chamber. Nothing else inside has shown any issues, just the foil cap starters I had, but the fridge funk culture on the front right is from my fridge with just the ventilation going. Not sure if the bugs are inside forever.

If so, at least its cantillon bugs, I would not complain if thats my house sour culture.

20481743_486360195034524_6694448950272851968_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back