GRABASS 12/12 Brew Session (Cary, NC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Baron von BeeGee and I will be brewing 10 gallons of pilsner (we hope) on Saturday 12/12 at my house.

PM me if you want to sit on my deck in the cold.

Details not yet set, but it'll probably start in the AM.

-Walker

Saturday is supposed to be miserable too! I am tenatively brewing at a buddies house in Holly Springs on Saturday, so I probably will not be able to attend but have fun! Dress warm!

Looks like the high is supposed to be 50*F on Saturday. That's fine with me. I think it was only 42*F when I brewed last weekend.

There is a chance of rain which would suck, but I think I have a pop-up canopy I can set up on the deck to keep us dry.

-Walker

Change of plans here. Due to a bunch of scheduling issues with me and my family, this lager brew session is being moved to Sunday 12/13. We'll get rolling around 8am.

-Walker

Family times always get changed on weekends this time of year. :)

I'm hoping to rack off last weekends batch of scotch ale into a secondary and put a big beer (1.100 +/-) on the yeast from that. But I've also got to start making the chocolates as well. And with the weather looking crummy, I might end up along with the shopping at the mall, 'cause that has to be done too.

I'm hoping its not as bad as last sat, boiling wort in cold drizzle is no fun.

tim
Also in Cary NC

I'll see what's up and try to make it up. Hoping to head to Carolina Brewery on Saturday. Can you PM me with some directions?

Barc, I'll PM you the address, but note that this session was moved to SUNDAY morning (12/13) no one will be at my house on saturday (not even me).

There is a HUGE chance of rain tomorrow. We will be brewing in the garage rather than on the deck.

I'm hoping to be mashed-in around 8am... Maybe a little after.

Not a bad brew session, all things considered. 3 propane tanks (none full), faulty iodine testing, and rain can't stop a good crew, or even a mediocre crew, or even a bad crew with a lot of heart... or a bad crew with no heart but you get the idea!

Reflections on the day:

10 gallon batches push the absolute limits of my mash-tun and boil kettle. Tun capacity looked ok after mashing-in (which we NAILED the temp on), but when I realized that I needed to add over 2.5 gallons of water for as a mash-out step and there was about 2 gallons of space in the tun.....:eek:

I did a single batch sparge and wasn't able to get all of that into the tun either. Again, I needed about 1/2 gallon more space than I had in the tun.

At the end of sparging, we had just a bit over 10 gallons in the kettle... should have probably had 11.5 or so, but we did not bother topping it off. I was already concerned about my llittle propane burner being able to handle boiling that much wort.

We put 4.5 gallons into two carboys through teh Baron's CFC and threw them into the fermentation fridge in the garage to cool off a little more. Temps were at 60*F last night, so one had a starter of bohemian pilsner pitched, and the other had a packet of dry swiss lager yeast (WTF is that anyway?) It'll be interesting to see the differences caused by the two yeasts.

One thing is certain: This is going to be a hefty pilsner. The kit assumed 70% efficiency, we got about 80%, and we are about a gallon short in the fermenter because of not topping off.

Target was 10 gallons of 1.051 wort. We've got about 9 gallons @ 1.064.

I am considering topping off the fermenters when I rack to secondary or as part of the warming up for a diacetyl rest in primary.

boooo-ya! :rockin:

Oh... forgot to add the "Best Unintentional Insult of the Day", which goes to Barc. Near the end of his 1st or 2nd pint of my porter he stated:

"You know... This is surprisingly good."

Thanks, Jerk! ;)

Oh... forgot to add the "Best Unintentional Insult of the Day", which goes to Barc. Near the end of his 1st or 2nd pint of my porter he stated:

"You know... This is surprisingly good."

Thanks, Jerk! ;)

No problem! Of course, this was after having had quite a few porters where the molasses were just over the top... Hence, "surprisingly good." :D

Here are the fruits of our labor:

happy_pils.jpg

Actually, bohemian formed a kraeusen about 4 hours before swiss did and has more vigorous airlock activity. swiss's crown is definitely taller though.

Any differences in smells from the airlock? What, everyone doesn't smell the airlock? Liars...

Back