Anyone ever go to the Sam Adams Beer Lover's Choice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panther1911

Reaction score
Anyone ever go to the Sam Adams Beer Lover's Choice?

As some of you might know, every Sam Adams brews two different types of beer and takes it around the county letting the people decide what one is better. The winner gets added to the line up the following year.

This year it is a Pils vs an Ale

This is the 5th year they are doing it.

I have never been to one before. Tomorrow night they are coming to a bar near me. I want to go.

I was just kind of wondering what to expect?

See if you can get one of their Sam Adam's Lager glasses. They are great and I've heard of people getting them for free at events.

I'm glad i saw this, checked the event list and the place up the street is listed 7/30/09, can't wait!

I did it this past weekend at a beer fest. I thought the Czech Pils was a clear winner. Very nice beer.

:off: I also have to give props to Sam Adams. I don't regularly drink their beers. Some I like, some I really don't. I had a nice chat with the guy at the booth and then grabbed a little wallet size fold-up freebie they had at the booth. It unfolds to a ~8X11 sheet that on one side has ales styles, and the other side has lagers. For each style, they give a brief flavor profile, then commercial examples of the styles, including those of their competitors for that style. Basically saying, if you like this beer of ours, you might try this one form another brewery. Of course the reverse is true. If you like XXXXX, you might like this SA beer. It also had food pairings.

I did the test up in Boston last week. I chose the pilsner. However both were a little warm from being out in the hot sun. I also tried an experimental stout at the brewery that was pretty good. If they have Brick Red I suggest trying some of that as well. I think they only serve Brick Red in Mass. but it may be at the Beer Lover's Choice.

Apparently as far as NC goes, the only people that know anything about beer must live in Charlotte since that's the only place they are gonna be doing this. What's that crap!

Not sure if its the same event, but my LHBS just had something similar where I met two of the three brewers that submitted their recipes to SA and they put it into production. It was a Traditional Bock, Double IPA and a Cranberry Wit. The Bock was ok in my opinion it had a strange sourness to the flavor and seemed low on the malt side. The Cranberry I was not impressed with at all. But the Double IPA was amazing, there were seven different types of hops and as you drank this beer you could almost taste all seven. I am not an IPA guy by any means but the complexity of this beer was amazing. I also am not a SA drinker but really have to give them props for everything they do for the home brewer!

I went last night and it was nothing like what I expected. We got there as the lady was setting up. The bar we went to is know for having about 30 beers on tap. And on Tuesdays all pints are $2. So we went and got a table and around of beers and dinner. I had a magic hat #9 from the tap (it was really good). After we ate I went over by the Sam Adams table and they had the beer lovers choice sign up and a bunch of sam adams promo items. Some one near the table said that the sam adams girl will is going around giving samples. So I went back to my table.

She came around with a tray of light colored beer in little sample cups. She told us it was a free sample and that if we ordered a sam adams that night we would get a free glass (so we ended up ordering sam adams and all got free glasses). She came back around with more samples that tasted like the first one. I asked her what flavor it was and she said the thought it was summer ale. First of all it was way to light and cleat to be summer ale, it didnt taste like summer ale. I have tried 30+ styles of SA, this beer didnt taste like any of them. It had to be the Pils. It was good, but it had a tad of a soapy aftertaste. Over all I liked it and If it wins the taste test, I would buy it.

Back