2nd AG recipe - Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
Haven't come up with a name for it yet, but I'm probably gonna do this for my second All-Grain batch. Pulled this one together on Brewmaster's Warehouse. I got about 60% wheat in there, some chocolate wheat to enhance the Munich, and I went for American Hefe yeast for a subtle character and Palisade hops for a fairly subdued hop aroma, so that the malt can really come through here.

More experienced recipe-makers, feel free to critique.

Code:
Brew Statistics
Dunkelweizen
	Min 	Max 	Yours 	Status
OG 	1.044 	1.056 	1.050 	OK
FG 	1.010 	1.014 	1.014 	OK
IBUs 	10.0 	18.0 	16.4 	OK
SRM 	14.0 	23.0 	22.3 	OK
ABV % 	4.3 	5.6 	4.7 	OK
Overall Brew Status 	OK

Selected Ingredients

Weyermann Pale Wheat 		5lbs 8oz
Weyermann Chocolate Wheat 	0lbs 8oz
Briess Organic Munich 10 	4lbs 0oz
White Labs American Hefe 	1ea
Rice Hulls 			1lb 4oz
Palisades Pellets - 1 oz 	0.25oz @60
Palisades Pellets - 1 oz 	0.75oz @15

I am on my second AG as well. My only comment and take it with a grain of salt- every Dunkelweizen I have had tastes like rich banana bread no doubt from the yeast. I would not use the american hefe yeast because it will just be a dark american wheat if you do. I like 3068 for my hefes fermented warm for the "naner'.

What's the fermentation range for 3068? I have a little bit of trouble with temps since my setup only allows me to control temperature by dumping massive volumes of ice into the tub with the fermenter. In the summer I regularly get low to mid 70s since my wife keeps the thermostat up around 78.

I was just curious to see what a "clean" fermentation with fewer esters would do, which was sort of why I went for the American Hefe.

I ferment mine in the low 70's but have gone as high as 76 deg. If you like banana and the style it will suit it great. I assume you have had a commerical example?

I've had the paulaner and the franziskaner, and an unnamed draft dunkelweizen at a bar in Albuquerque.

When I tried to do a hoppy dunkel it was a little *too* banana-y due to the hops. I labeled it as an ale to "make you reconsider everything you knew about beer".

Back