heading for overcarbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJames

Reaction score
I'm working on my first batch of beer and I'd like some reassurance that I'm not making bottle bombs! I bottled 8 days ago and haven't had any trouble, but I was really shocked at the huge amount of CO2 blown off of a bottle I just opened.

details of the brew:
Boiled 3.3 lbs dark LME in 1 gallon of water for an hour. Added about another 1 gallon. Pitched a 6 oz packet of Cooper's yeast. Primary fermention was largely complete 36 hrs at 75-70 degrees fahrenheit. Sat in the primary for 11 days in total. I checked the FG which rang in at 1.011. I added 1/3 cup of white sugar and bottled. I was a bit surprised to have only 1.5 gallons of beer.

The very specific question on my mind is: does beer continue to build carbonation after the first week in the bottle?

Yes - the beer will continue to carbonate after the first week. It usually takes 3 weeks to reach a good carbonation level (with the appropriate amount of priming sugar).

What temp did you store the bottles at for carbonation? - it will move along faster at warmer temps.

Did you chill the beer before you opened it?

I'm not sure how much 1/3 of a cup of sugar weighs, but for a 1.5 gallon batch, you only need 1.5 - 2 oz to get a lot of carbonation (3 - 3.5 volumes). If you're over 2 oz, you might be inline for some bombs (though I don't really know how many volumes of CO2 you need to have to reach explosion)

See The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

Most people use corn sugar for bottling. Going by the charts on the linked page they suggest 2/3 cup white sugar for a 5 gallon batch. That means your 1/3 cup is about double what is suggested. Very likely you will end up will bottle bombs .

Miscellaneous Brewing Charts

Any suggestions to avoid exploding bottles with this current batch? open the bottles, perhaps pouring some off?

Back