Brew pot Thickness question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
Hi,
I found a local guy that is selling a 100 QT (25 gal.) stainless steel pot. VERY cheap...$110. Part of me said it was too good to be true, and I noticed it was only 1 mm thick, which may be an issue, no? I did a search and see others recommending pots with 1.2 mm thickness so part of me thinks it would be fine but I wanted to ask for your thoughts on it.

I brew on the Caribou Classic 185k BTU burner, so brewing that much liquid is not an issue.

Would scorching the wort be an issue? Does the cheap price justify giving it a shot? Thanks!

That is a good price on such a huge stainless pot. Unless it is cheap and flimsy, you will be fine. I don't think scorching will be an issue unless you have some sort of super burner.

Pending condition, I would say buy it if you need a pot that large.

Sounds like a good deal, 1mm should be ok as many use thinner pots. As long as you are not carrying it around with 25 gallons of liquid I think it sounds like a winner. Offer $80 and work it out.

It is brand new. I currently only have a 5 gallon pot. I'm looking ahead with this one, I will only want to brew larger quantities in the future and for the moment it will work for full 5 gallon boils.

Another side question. Is it difficult to install a valve on a pot yourself? I have a few buddies that are great at welding.

0.2 mm thickness is not going to make nearly as much difference as your burner, and how large it's diameter is (how concentrated the heat is), how close it is mounted to the pot, and so on. If it scorches, move the burner down some, surround it with a ring to prevent too much lateral heat loss, and so on.

If you are really concerned, get one of these for only half again as much:

Update International 100 Qt. Stainless Steel Pot with Sandwich Bottom - UPI-SPS-100 - SPS-100 at Wares Direct

I have these now, but have brewed in a thin pot previously.

You could always find a somewhat thick piece of aluminum to throw on top the burner then set your pot on top of that if you are having scorching issues. I don't think you'll have scorching issues either way (Unless you are pouring in extract of course)

Conpewter, I am using extract at the moment with intentions to switch to all grain when possible. Would dry malt scorch less than liquid malt? I have only used liquid so far.

It's just a matter of mixing it in properly. Best way to do it is to turn off the heat, mix in your extract really well (make sure to scrape any liquid extract off the bottom) then turn the heat back on. I almost always use DME when I use extract, I do think it mixes in better than liquid, but that's a personal preference.

Have you seen the pot? 25 gallons is huge. Unless you really plan on some big batches, it might be more than you need. While sure it will work for a 5 gallon batch, I jokingly envision a little dried wort stain at the bottom of that massive thing.

Might this be the pot??

100 QT COMMERCIAL STAINLESS STEEL STOCK POT - eBay (item 370208037388 end time May-31-09 06:22:43 PDT)

edit...I should be a detective...the ebayer above is also in Illinois.

IMO 60 qt is a nice size for 5 or 10 gallon batches.

lol at the wort stain, and very good wilser! Yes that is it. The guy said I can come pick it up, saves $50 on shipping. He is very nice, has near perfect feedback.

I have been brewing with a buddy of mine to help save on costs. We recently recruited a third friend and he offered to purchase the pot as his contribution seeing as the brew will be divided amongst 3 now. My brother has been brewing for a few months and found a guy with 11 carboys for sale ($15 EA!!) a while ago...majority are sitting idle in his basement which he gladly lets me use. So we have the need and the equipment to produce high quantities, except for a brew pot and chiller.

Sounds like everyone would jump on this pot, thanks! And back to the valve question...anyone have any input on this, self installing a valve?

Not a welder, but I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Many ways to put a valve on. Might be tricky welding on the thin stainless. I like the idea using silver solder w/ a brass or stainless fitting (from what I have read, you can get a nice job w/ a basic propane torch) The fitting should have a shoulder on it for some bond area and fit snugly in the kettle hole...try a search). Some also use weldless fittings, while others prefer to just use a racking cane out of the kettle.

With a kettle that size, you surely need to go all grain, kegging, grain mill...that is a nice size pot for a three-way brewing coop. A 15 gallon batch is pretty much spot on for that pot.

Once, I simply sanitized a large 1 gallon plastic pitcher, and ladled the chilled wort to the fermenter. Up to you really.

ok, found the silver solder link...
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64217&hilit=soldering

I figured the racking cane would be fine to start, eventually we will want a valve I think...thanks for the link and all the help wilser

I have high aspirations, what can I say? Although...when I get kegging in conjunction with the 25 gallon kettle, then I'll be much closer to my name lol.

Back