New co2 set-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

907_fellow

Reaction score
Just got an order in the mail last week from farmhousebrewsupply so I figured I would show everyone my new set-up.

I got a 8-way distribution manifold to split my 12 psi up amongst my cornies. image-2768176226.jpg

I also moved my co2 tank outside and put some quick disconnects on the line for changing the tank. image-2078946935.jpg

And here she sits... Need to quit drinkin so fast/brew more beer to fill this damn thing up!
image-2946500788.jpg

A firkin huh? Had to google that one...
1. A small wooden barrel or covered vessel.
2. Any of several British units of capacity, usually equal to about 1/4 of a barrel or 9 gallons (34 liters).

For what?

Looks like you need a bigger tank... Those 5# tanks?? Go for a 20# CO2 tank. :rockin:

IMO, the disconnect on the CO2 feed, IMO, is unnecessary. Especially since you have a shutoff on the regulator gas out.

Ya I had em Layin around so I figured I would throw the disconnects on.

As for the 20lb bottle, I would love to go that route, however I'm in Alaska, and kinda remote at that. My options for bottle swap are limited. They always have lots of 5lbs, never any 10lbs or 20lbs, then they have the huge like 50lb and 100lb bottles. So I'm stuck with 5lbs. But they don't do too bad, I can live with em.

If those are the choices, I'd seriously look into/think about going with a 50# tank. As long as they swap it out, you're good. Even if it takes you 1-2 years (or more) to go through it, the cost per pound of CO2 will be much lower. They might even deliver it to you. :rockin:

You can use the small tanks for other things. Like sealing the kegs, pushing cleaning solution, etc. Just get another regulator and you're set. :D

Ya ya I'm thinking about it! I feel like I could spend that 3 or 4 hundred bucks on better brewing stuff at this point (like a fermentation chamber) rather then buying a big metal tank. I'm lookin into to it though. One day I will have the biggest co2 tank for a keezer on the homebrewtalk forum!

Ya ya I'm thinking about it! I feel like I could spend that 3 or 4 hundred bucks on better brewing stuff at this point (like a fermentation chamber) rather then buying a big metal tank. I'm lookin into to it though. One day I will have the biggest co2 tank for a keezer on the homebrewtalk forum!

Maybe... :D I have a 20# connected to my brew fridge that only holds 4 2.5 or 3 gallon kegs. If/when I get/make a keezer I'll probably go with the larger tank size (50-100#) depending on availability and if they'll deliver it to where I am AND bring it into the basement (where the keezer will be)...

Maybe I will look for a 500 pound bulk tank to throw outside. We use those a lot around here for propane and heating oil for homes outside city limits. That would be badass. Lifetime supply.

They do for propane and diesel fuel oil, but then again you have a truck that comes to the house and fills it up. Not sure if they have a truck that will bring that much co 2 haha

I saw a service truck 'deliver' CO2 to a convenience store where they filled a tank outside the building. If you can get that setup for home delivery up there, go for it. I can only imagine the costs though.

Haha ya it seems totally un-realistic. I will stick with the more common approach on this I think.

Talked with the AirGas guys today (getting supplies for my oxy-acy welding rig)... You can lease the 50# and 100# tanks from them for not a lot of cabbage. A 50# tank would be around $50 to fill/exchange, with the $50/year lease on it. Didn't get pricing on a 100# tank. Might be worth looking into for you. They are up in Alaska, so it's possible they're in your area, or close enough to take care of you. Even if you only go through one 50# tank a year, having it delivered would make it damned convenient. :D

Ya it would. I will have to give them a jingle and see if that would work up here. I bet I would spend $50 a year on gas driving 10 5lb tanks the 20 miles to swap at airgas. 50lb tank would be badass.

Better to let them spend the fuel getting the CO2 to you, in less trips, than you doing it. Gives you more time to drink/brew. :rockin:

I'm still working on the first fillup of the 20# tank I have. I would probably get another for when I set up a keezer or second brew fridge. Not ready for that just yet. I do need to think about getting my 2.5# tank filled. I'll probably do it when my 5# needs to be filled too. I also got pricing on getting the paintball gun bottles filled at the local Dick's Sporting Goods. Cheaper than the paintball store was, and it's straight CO2. No lubricants/etc. added. :ban:

BTW, with what you're paying per 5# filling/swap, I suspect you'll be saving money right off the bat. Even with the lease cost.

I also found out that AirGas is in all 50 states, so including Hawaii... :rockin:

They are in Alaska too it's true. I just have to drive about 20 miles to get to em. It's about twice as far as the other place I usually go to swap tanks. Both stores however do not fill on site... All the tanks they have are trucked down 3 hrs from anchorage and dropped off periodically depending on demand. That's why I have stated with two 5lb tanks, they always have one and if thy don't, my beer is still on emergency co2 until the next tanks arrive.

I'm curious how long 50lbs would last... Force carbing two to three cornies a month with 6 on tap. I would to build a stand and screw it into the wall to hold the damn tank for safety reasons haha.

How long does a 5# tank last you???

My 20# tank still reads full (after over a year). I use 3 gallon kegs, going with the slow force carb method. My 'reserve' tank is a 10#, with secondary reserve being the 5# tank. In a pinch, I could use the 2.5# tank too. If I run out of those, I could start going through the paintball bottles. But, something MAJOR would need to have happened for me to even go through the 10# tank before getting the 20# filled. :D

I plan on getting one of the 20 cubic foot O2 tanks I've been using to oxygenate my wort swapped with a 60. I might swap out the acetylene tank with whatever is the correct matching size. Or just keep using the one I have (was matched to a 40 cubic O2 tank before)... Looking forward to doing more welding at home again. Been many years since I did it last. Need to practice some before I do anything important. Luckily, I should have the flux I need before the end of the week for silver soldering. I hope there's some brazing flux still in my sister's garage.

It depends but atleast a month, probably 2. Haven't kept real good track of the time line there. Having just installed new lines and manifold, I have been making sure I have no leaks. So far so good, and the tank still has pressure after 2 weeks running new stuff haha. Is the tank volume gauge fairly accurate when the tank is outside the keezer? Can I trust it to tell me when it's getting low?

More accurate on the larger tanks (10# and up) than the small ones (5#). Only true way to KNOW how much is left would be to weigh it. But, you'll either need to disconnect the regulator, or weigh it full, with everything connected. I didn't do that, so it's hard to say. But, the sucker is still heavy enough to have a lot of CO2 still in it. :D

Back