Best Pink Floyd Song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May not be their best, but it's what I think when I read this thread. Some of you blokes should be certified insane and thus are duly qualified to issue an answer here.I feel sorrow for the rest of you dribblers.

I love Welcome to the Machine. Used to have dreams about the machine as a kid. I was in the machine... on a conveyor... being transported through a series of mechanized tunnels. Kinda funny how a kid's mind can be so perceptive without understanding what it is he/she is experiencing.

When the Tigers Broke Free

I read this thread and built an all PF playlist on my classic.

One of my favorites is Comfortably Numb from The Wall. But if I were to pick a more obscure song, I'd go with One of These Days on the album Meddle

I'm an unrepentant PF fanboi.

I've been listening to The Wall live edition, with one complete play through virtually every day since the middle of March. I do my best work when that album puts me in the zone. It...is...awesome...

Cheers!

Learning to Fly is probably the most powerfull PF song to me. Delicate sound of thunder is by far my favorite album though. PF live is just crazy good.

Airborneguy said:
Why should we tell you otherwise? If you don't like them, you don't like them. I could careless whether you do or not. What was the point of your post?

Sorry. I had a few and hate PF. That is my opinion. If you careless what is the point of your post?

Airborneguy said:
Because you came into a Pino Floyd thread full of enthusiasts of their music specifically to make an A-hole remark. If I'm wrong, tell me otherwise. How's that sound?

I'm sorry that I hate PF. I don't get many opportunities to show it. This was my only chance... airborneguy, I love you. I'm sure you hate my music and I hate yours too. Lets just be friends.

:off:

I used to listen to MegaDeth, but I always got the sense that Mustaine was just playing watered-down Metallica songs. Couldn't listen to them without making the comparison, and for me they haven't aged nearly as well (still love old Metallica, Megadeth does nothing for me any more).

Pink Floyd, on the other hand, sounds like nothing else before them, and nothing else since.

Back on topic... love Floyd, but I've never really been able to get into the really old stuff, the Syd stuff. Guess I need to keep trying.

Also, Netflix has a great documentary on the making of Dark Side, which has got to be one of two or three greatest rock albums of all time. Frankly, I can't think of anything that's better.

DSOTM is sort of like Bob Marley Legends or Sargent Peppers for me.. I played it out so hard it's going to be around 10 years before I can listen to any of it. Maybe I'll listen to all three on my 40'th.

Also, Netflix has a great documentary on the making of Dark Side, which has got to be one of two or three greatest rock albums of all time. Frankly, I can't think of anything that's better.

Led Zeppelin I and IV for sure.

As much as I love Dark Side, I'm not so sure I agree with even top 5. The Wall is far better in my opinion and I'm inclined to put Wish You Were Here above it too.

Led Zeppelin I and IV for sure.

As much as I love Dark Side, I'm not so sure I agree with even top 5. The Wall is far better in my opinion and I'm inclined to put Wish You Were Here above it too.

I think Dark Side ages with me better. "The Wall" is built upon a lot more anger than I feel at this stage in my life, whereas Dark Side seems to become more and more relevant to where I am today.

My favorite song is "Learning to Fly", but that one that opened my eyes to them was The Wall. It released late summer right before school started, and I loved the line "Hey Teacher, Leave those Kids Alone."

I think Dark Side ages with me better. "The Wall" is built upon a lot more anger than I feel at this stage in my life, whereas Dark Side seems to become more and more relevant to where I am today.

That's exactly how I feel. Tho comfortably numb, Mother, Young Lust, etc still make me listen. But playing it through as a concept album isn't relevant for me anymore.

btw... I tried setting up a Floyd station on Pandora and basically got the same 7 or 8 songs you hear on the radio. Boring. Then, I set up a station for Frank Zappa and in between Zappa songs it plays the BEST selection of Floyd, Zeppelin and Beatle's stuff!

I saw Floyd live in Kansas City back in the late 80's early 90's (don't remember, hard living). Listen to albums all you want, and I agree they are good, but it don't hold a patch to a live performance in a venue like Arrowhead. Out doors on a warm summer night, Laser light show blowing your mind, "stuff" being passed around. Their electric bill must be enormous. A complete rendition of DSOTM, two encores, and you know it aint over until we get some Run Like Hell. Now Sid is dead, so is Richard. Roger is on his own trip (although +1 on The Pros and cons).
That being said, Animals by a hair.

Anyone seen Australian Pink Floyd? Heard their good.

Anyone seen Australian Pink Floyd? Heard their good.

Saw them a couple of years ago. Man they were fantastic. I could only imagine how good an actual live show of Pink Floyd would have been.

All in all, if the Australian PF show were ever to make a return here to the rock, I would be the first to book seats.

btw... I tried setting up a Floyd station on Pandora and basically got the same 7 or 8 songs you hear on the radio. Boring. Then, I set up a station for Frank Zappa and in between Zappa songs it plays the BEST selection of Floyd, Zeppelin and Beatle's stuff!

Pandora is a strange animal. I have a channel for Jethro Tull, that one gives me plenty of JT plus plenty of Ian Anderson solo stuff, but that JT channel is the best one for getting to hear a huge chunk of the record collection I had in the 70's Including King Crimson! How the hell did Mr. Pandora extrapolate that one from all the chords, beat, instruments etc! :rockin:

Oh yes.....Animals is HUGELY underrated. I Also agree about the anger in The Wall offsetting the depth of Dark Side, but I find that both can find a mood that fits me at different times.

Not to knock 2-channel listening, but there is something about listening to Us and Them on the Super Audio CD version of DSOTM. In a perfectly calibrated room you can close your eyes and hear/feel the echoes in the song move through you from front to back. And this is sober. Not sure what that would've done to me in undergrad lol

Pandora is a strange animal. I have a channel for Jethro Tull, that one gives me plenty of JT plus plenty of Ian Anderson solo stuff, but that JT channel is the best one for getting to hear a huge chunk of the record collection I had in the 70's Including King Crimson! How the hell did Mr. Pandora extrapolate that one from all the chords, beat, instruments etc! :rockin:

My Zappa station gives you a lot of that too. King Crimson, Jeff Beck, lots of great stuff. The Beatles songs are all Revolver and later. Lots of Floyd from Animals, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side, The Wall and Meddle. I'd been jumping from station to station for a while, but once I created that one I've been on it for about 4 months, listening every day going to and from work.

Back