Planning Edworts Haus Pale Ale - suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emccarthy25

Reaction score
As the title states, I'm planning to brew Edworts Haus Pale Ale. Due to equipment and space I will need to do a partial volume boil and will be doing a partial mash. I've adjusted the recipe to what I hope will be similar...here's what I've got -

Type: Partial Mash Date: 3/9/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer: Erik
Boil Size: 3.62 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIAB
End of Boil Volume 2.87 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.28 gal Est Mash Efficiency 71.7 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

Ingredients
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-)

I've got a 20qt pot for my boil, and various smaller ones I can use for heating sparge water. I plan to have about 3.5 gallons in my boil, and top off to 5.5 in the fermenter. Also, I plan to mash at 152 for an hour. Will the above recipe get me to a passable version of his beer, or do I need to make some more adjustments?

Thanks in advance!:mug:

I am going to assume that the lack of response is because no changes are needed. I'm planning to brew this this weekend. I'll post an update once I do :)

I am planning the same thing: partial mash and 3 gallon boil. My thought is to keep all the Vienna malt in the recipe. I would rather switch a pound of two-row to extract and keep the more interesting malts in the mash.

Interesting thought. I'm not sure what the vienna malt adds. Is it just head retention, or for flavor also? I do think you may be on to something, though

I am planning the same thing: partial mash and 3 gallon boil. My thought is to keep all the Vienna malt in the recipe. I would rather switch a pound of two-row to extract and keep the more interesting malts in the mash.

This is the way to go! You mayalso look at smashing a little lower to counteract the extract potential to finish high, or add a little corn sugar.

I changed a couple of things in my version of the recipe. After playing with it in Beersmith a little, I've added an additional pound of vienna malt and increased the hopping rates, I did not add more DME, which according to the numbers will work out fine.

New recipe:
Type: Partial Mash Date: 3/9/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer: Erik
Boil Size: 3.62 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIAB
End of Boil Volume 2.87 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.28 gal Est Mash Efficiency 71.7 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

Ingredients
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract
1.5 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-)

This puts me at an estimated
OG 1.049
FG 1.012
IBU 29.0
SRM 4.4

Which is pretty close to EdWort's original recipe numbers. Provided I do everything right(which I'm sure I won't) it 'should' be close in flavor(no way for me to know, but I can speculate).

Cheers!

Interesting thought. I'm not sure what the vienna malt adds. Is it just head retention, or for flavor also? I do think you may be on to something, though

Vienna malt adds a toasty, biscuity/bready, delicious flavor to your beer. It's a common malt used in IPA, Pale Ales, etc. Try a Vienna lager - delicious!

Vienna malt adds a toasty, biscuity/bready, delicious flavor to your beer. It's a common malt used in IPA, Pale Ales, etc. Try a Vienna lager - delicious!

I may have to try one. Since I started brewing, I've only purchased ales, as I don't have the ability to ferment a lager at the moment(basically I've been trying beers that I may want to brew myself). I'll be sure to look around for it though. Thanks for the suggestion :mug:

Jamil has a pretty good recipe for Vienna lager in "Brewing Classic Styles". Its the first lager I've made and it picked up 2 2nd-Place Ribbons last weekend and back in December. Better than that though, it's the first keg my fiance kicked on her...

For lagers I just focus on temperature control, pitching rates, and pitching at fermentation temperature. I think those are key. If you do those correctly you don't necessarily need a diacetyl rest.

unfortunatly I have built a fermentation chamber yet, but that's planned to be built before summer hits, else I will be stuck with 2 gallon batches. Once I have that together, assuming I can get it reasonably air tight, I'll work on lagers. Until then, though I'm 'stuck' with ales

Back