Will this recipe work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianyear

Reaction score
This is an extract recipe for a very strong Scotch Ale. This is also the first high gravity brew that I've ever attempted to do.

Will this work? And do you have any suggestions, techniques, or tips that you'd want to share?

Amber DME * *7.000lb * *Extract * *51.6%
Light DME * *4.000lb * *Extract * *29.5%
CaraPils * *1.000lb * *Grain * *7.4%
Crystal 60L * *1.000lb * *Grain * *7.4%
Amber Malt * *0.250lb * *Grain * *1.8%
Aromatic Malt (Belgian) * *0.250lb * *Grain 1.8%
Roasted Barley * *0.062lb * *Grain * *0.5%

First Gold 1.00oz 6.5% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 29.3 IBU
Irish Moss * *1.0 unit(s), Fining 1 heaping tsp. in boil at 20 minutes
Wyeast 1728 or White Labs Edinburgh Ale yeast with a 32oz starter

You won't need the carapils with all the DME and crystal and IIRC amber and aromatic need to be mashed.

You won't need the carapils with all the DME and crystal and IIRC amber and aromatic need to be mashed.

I was under the impression that Carapils would aid in head retention.
Also, would a 45-60 minute steep work instead of a mash? I'm currently not set up with a mash tun.

I was under the impression that Carapils would aid in head retention.

Yes, that is one of it's functions.....but you already have lots of other stuff that will also help with that so the Carapils is superfluous.

Also, would a 45-60 minute steep work instead of a mash? I'm currently not set up with a mash tun.

Just sub a pound of pale or pilsner for the Carapils and you will be mashing. For the small amount of grain there you don't need any sophisticated equipment. A muslin grain bag or some cheesecloth and you're good to go. Search: mini mash.

Awesome. Thanks so much for the advice guys. I hope to brew this next week and enjoy it at the Highland Games next summer. :rockin:

If you steep your grains at about 152* for 60 min. you are mashing them (assuming a ratio of water to grains of 1.25 quarts/ pound).

You don't need a mash tun to mash. A lot of people have success with the BIAB (brew in a bag) method that is like steeping on steroids.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

I lose anywhere from 1 to 4 degrees over an hour mashing (usually 1 - 2, which is the tolerance of my thermometer anyway). If you can hold that range on a stovetop "steeping" then you are mashing.

I think what other people are getting at is that with DME, Carapils, and Crystal you're looking at a high FG (a lot of unfermentable sugars). A scotch ale should be "sweet" but you don't want it to be cloying.

I plugged this in to Brewtarget and got a SG of 1.105 and a FG of 1.030 with a total IBU of 15.6, which is too sweet for me. Even for a scotch ale I would want it drier and a little more hopped (even with low acid noble hops... earthy, herbal... not necessarily bitter).

But you never know until you try! Good luck.

Bear with me and my noob questions.
How do I dry this out? I know I can add more hops to increase the bitterness, but how do I lower the FG?

Bear with me and my noob questions.
How do I dry this out? I know I can add more hops to increase the bitterness, but how do I lower the FG?

Sub a pound of sugar for one of the pounds of extract. With this big beer there will not be an impact on flavor.

What do you mean "will this work"? Everything "works" but you have to be aiming at something to hit it.

Back