Brewery Logo Feedback, Please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadius856

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. Working on my logo, and having a little creative trouble. I'm going for something modern and that can be printed mono-tone so it can be embossed, so to speak. That is, only black and whitespace. Later I'll work to colorize it for printed labels and such.

Here's what I have so far. It just doesn't "feel" right. Any input?

I'd simplify the center shape and just make it a hole. You might also want to make the area the text is in fatter so that it has more breathing room. I like the direction you're going in, though. :)

I would personally go for a "chunkier" feel. Shorter teeth, wider area where the text is, all lines widened. I like the above suggestion about a center hole, too. I would use a simpler, bolder font so it'll be more readable at smaller sizes (IE bottle caps... which this logo will be perfect for).

It seems simple and blockey (that's probably not a word). Very, "I just whipped this up on a free cad program". Maybe on a different background it would look better, but it seems too simple as-is.

Just my opinion, but maybe the words would do better off the sprocket? It just seems to spring to mind an anchor with "Red Lobster" written on it or something...you could always put two sprockets or chains together to make more interest.

Keep on it.:ban:

It seems simple and blockey (that's probably not a word). Very, "I just whipped this up on a free cad program". Maybe on a different background it would look better, but it seems too simple as-is.

That's because it was.

This was drawn in a cutter program, so that I can slice it out of a sheet of vinyl. The background is just a reference grid to aid with drawing it.

Here it is, in false color, using the preview mode.

Just my opinion, but maybe the words would do better off the sprocket? It just seems to spring to mind an anchor with "Red Lobster" written on it or something...you could always put two sprockets or chains together to make more interest.

Keep on it.:ban:

Not sure I understand. Never eaten at a Red Lobster.

From what I can find, this is their current logo.

rl_logo.png

And this is their previous logo.

red-lobster-official-logo.gif

I'd simplify the center shape and just make it a hole. You might also want to make the area the text is in fatter so that it has more breathing room. I like the direction you're going in, though. :)

I would personally go for a "chunkier" feel. Shorter teeth, wider area where the text is, all lines widened. I like the above suggestion about a center hole, too. I would use a simpler, bolder font so it'll be more readable at smaller sizes (IE bottle caps... which this logo will be perfect for).

Chunkier. Hmmm. Makes sense about the scaling. I'll give it a try. Brand new to this program and it takes me about 5x as long to do anything as it does in AutoCAD or InkScape. :\

Now chunkier. Changed the inner hole to a keyway.

This was about as big and bold as I could get with the font without having kerning problems. If denser is possible, either I'm using the wrong font, or there's some trick I don't know about.

Not sure I understand. Never eaten at a Red Lobster.

From what I can find, this is their current logo.

rl_logo.png

And this is their previous logo.

red-lobster-official-logo.gif

I just meant that the words following the curve of the wheel doesn't pop enough for me as a logo. I'm not sure why I said Red Lobster.

What is the inspiration? Bicycles? Road or Dirt? I was thinking of a tire track design though it. To me it looks better, but still a generic sprocket. Like if I had a brewery and named it "screw" or "inclined plane" brewery. We get what it is, but seems like we are missing what it stands for.

Maybe more rounded on the outside for a any chain driven sprocket.

I just meant that the words following the curve of the wheel doesn't pop enough for me as a logo. I'm not sure why I said Red Lobster.

What is the inspiration? Bicycles? Road or Dirt? I was thinking of a tire track design though it. To me it looks better, but still a generic sprocket. Like if I had a brewery and named it "screw" or "inclined plane" brewery. We get what it is, but seems like we are missing what it stands for.

Maybe more rounded on the outside for a any chain driven sprocket.

I see. Ok, here goes. Sprocket's just where I landed.

Always been fascinated by clockworks. No idea why. The steam-driven clockwork look of steampunk, especially. Not so much the Victorian alternate universe direction that some take it, but that's another story.

There's a Clockworks in both England and Colorado. So, that's a no go.
There's a Steamworks in both Colorado and British Columbia. Also, no go.

Couldn't find any other combo that worked and wasn't taken. So, I went somewhat generic. Looks that was a bad choice.

The problem with clockworks and steampunk designs is that they're innately intricate, and that's much of their beauty... something that doesn't work well with etching (bottle fronts) or screenprinting (caps), it seems.

Might have to take a step back on this one and go back to the drawing board.

Not so sure, just giving some constructive (I hope) criticism. What about light sensitive paper? I think you've got a good idea going, and since we have the idea of where you were going, maybe the HBT community can give you some more tweaks until you are happy with it.

Welp, I tossed the idea. Racked my brain all last night and couldn't figure out anything that worked. The name just didn't seem right, the logo was too difficult to make work, etc.

Back to the drawing board. I needed a theme and a name that suited me. So I did what I usually do when trying to name thing: go to a random page on Wikipedia, click links that look interesting and after about 10 pages, you'll find yourself pretty well entrenched in a theme of some sort. Sure as ****, it happened.

Scribbed down notes, then came home and slept. Woke up, tossed the new drawing program I'd been using out of the window, and loaded up Illustrator. Much more functional, logical, easy for me to adapt to. Here's the result.

A 'cryptid' is a creature or plant that science has not proven exists, but some people believe to. For example, Bigfoot. This stuff has always fascinated me. It also leaves plenty of room for themed beers.

Already planning a Triple IPA I name to 'Cerberus'. :D

You aren't a designer, and I think you're getting a lot responses from people that are designers as much as they are lawyers (everyone pretends to be one here).

If you want it done right, pay a designer, or post on reddit. You're going to get half baked opinions here looking for design feedback.

You aren't a designer, and I think you're getting a lot responses from people that are designers as much as they are lawyers (everyone pretends to be one here).

If you want it done right, pay a designer, or post on reddit. You're going to get half baked opinions here looking for design feedback.

You're right on all counts.

I'd hire a professional if I planned to sell my beer and it mattered how instantly recognizable, widely liked, or easily remembered my logo was. I don't and it doesn't. I plan to gift my beer.

As for "half baked opinions", they're exactly what I'm looking for. The friends and family I'm looking to give to aren't designers either. They're just your average beer drinkers, which is the group I've tried to appeal to for comment.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I think I'll pass this time. Perhaps later down the road if I'm ever ready to go pro.

That's because it was.

This was drawn in a cutter program, so that I can slice it out of a sheet of vinyl. The background is just a reference grid to aid with drawing it.

Here it is, in false color, using the preview mode.

Boy, I sure like the red better than the green. Maybe shade the letters in a little black? I think that'd look sharp.

I liked the sprocket idea, along with the sprocket middle. I do agree with the others on here who have said that the copy needs to be bigger.

Your second logo looks great! The "w" does look a little funny to me though.

Boy, I sure like the red better than the green. Maybe shade the letters in a little black? I think that'd look sharp.

This was designed on a cutter program. It could be any color you like it to be.

My vinyl cutter would just cut the shape out of whatever vinyl I placed in the machine. Could be white or black or purple or yellow or silver. The red is just the "Print Preview" color in that program, if you will.

The idea was to add styling and texture to it once I had the stencil graphic done. But that never came to be.

thadius856 said:
Welp, I tossed the idea. Racked my brain all last night and couldn't figure out anything that worked. The name just didn't seem right, the logo was too difficult to make work, etc.

Back to the drawing board. I needed a theme and a name that suited me. So I did what I usually do when trying to name thing: go to a random page on Wikipedia, click links that look interesting and after about 10 pages, you'll find yourself pretty well entrenched in a theme of some sort. Sure as ****, it happened.

Scribbed down notes, then came home and slept. Woke up, tossed the new drawing program I'd been using out of the window, and loaded up Illustrator. Much more functional, logical, easy for me to adapt to. Here's the result.

http://imgur.com/IZzpq

A 'cryptid' is a creature or plant that science has not proven exists, but some people believe to. For example, Bigfoot. This stuff has always fascinated me. It also leaves plenty of room for themed beers.

Already planning a Triple IPA I name to 'Cerberus'. :D

I like your theme. The name can be catchy. You should brew like an underground street artist and pass your beer out in the wee hours. Leave your beer gifts in unsuspecting places. Make it fun for your friends and family. If the definition of Cryptid covers mythical entities, the fun will never stop. You have inspired me to brew a beer series called "Charon's Ferry Ales".

Make a steam-punk style logo with cogs and pressure chambers or something.....if this helps at all...

FWIW, I don't care for the Cryptid design. To me it is too busy and the font is hard to read. I do like the idea of the name and theme, though

Maybe it's because I don't have my glasses on, but it reminds me of the posters that were going around in the mid 90s that you had to focus your eyes when you were real close and then back away to see what it really was. It would probably look good on the back of a sweatshirt, gotta think about the merchandise.
Neat concept on the brewery. I imagine it's hard to find a hook that hasn't been used before.

Back