Coleman 52 Qt Extreme Mash Tun - SS Braid or Manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuhndog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a couple 52 qt Extreme coolers last weekend (Kmart for $24/each) and wanted to know what would work best with this cooler - a SS Braid or a manifold because of the channel drain that is with this model.

I can get either but I was wondering if one was more efficient or one that gets the most wort out of it...etc.

Thanks!

Are you batch sparging or fly sparging?

If you're batch sparging, either will work (I prefer braid 'cuz I'm cheap and it's fairly ghetto, yet effective).

If you're fly sparging, you'll need a manifold to avoid channeling during the fly sparge.

I'd say a braid running the length of the channel would leave the least dead space. I have a 70qt Xtreme with braid and I tip the thing towards the end and it doesn't leave any liquid behind whatsoever.

I've got the same model and have used batch sparging with fairly effective results. However, it should be noted that I also mash at lower end temps to increase said efficiency. I should also say I just finished building a cpvc manifold for moving into fly sparging. As OneHoppy said... it's a toss up.

Blue cooler, braid and batch-sparge. Just has a nice ring to it.

Besides, thieves would probably steal a copper manifold to sell for scrap. Then you couldn't brew and would have to buy beer. That'd cause you to go broke and become homeless.

Don't become homeless, use a braid.

I use a CPVC Manifold. a 1/2 brass nipple fit perfectly through the coolers "o" ring to connect a ball valve onthe outside and cpvc coupler on the inside. No leaking :)

Back