Hickory Smoked Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterDrew

Reaction score
I was reading a back issue of Zymurgy recently and they had an article about a brewing club having a contest of sorts using smoked grain. This got my brain churnin' about doing a honey wheat extract with a home smoked specialty grain. I thought I would bring the topic here and see if anyone had tried something similar and how it turned out along with getting some input on recipe ideas.

I recently did a pecan smoked wheat lager, wasn't bad but wasn't great. Just finished off a pecan smoked Bavarian Dunkelweizen. Between the yeast and the caramel malt it was hard to pick up the smoked malt. Have a few more pounds left of the home smoked Munich malt I need to use. I may be done smoking my own malt after that as it didn't seem as elegant as Rauch malt.

Interesting to hear. If smoking my own doesn't make a huge difference flavor wise it doesn't make sense to do so. Thanks for the info!

If you like smoked beer you have to try smoking your own malt at least once. I used hickory years ago to smoke some 2-row and thought I remembered it turning out pretty good.

Don't let my experience stop you. I made a traditional rauch with my home smoked Munich malt. Again, I didn't think it was great but I gave some to a co-worker for kicks thinking he wasn't going to like it. He came back wanting to know if I had any more left.

Back