Fermentation chamber probe placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikrocks

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and haven't found a similar thread, so...here goes.

A month or so ago I built an insulated fermentation chamber that can hold 4 carboys. I have a minifridge and a small electric heater connected to a LOVE TSS2.

photo_32.jpg

Problem is, I can only make 5 gallon batches at once, so every carboy in the chamber is at a different point of fermentation/conditioning at a given time. I would obviously want my newest brew to hold an internal temperature of around 65* as it undergoes primary fermentation. But the ale that has already dropped its krausen should be cranked a little higher.

Not to mention, the beer undergoing primary is going to need much cooler air than the beer that is conditioning.

So...where should I place my probe? Tape it to the beer that just began primary? Tape it to the beer that's been in there for 7 days? In a glass of water?

Thanks!

It seems like you are trying to solve one problem before dealing with the more important issue. Placement of your primary and other beers so that you can maintain some order to temperature differences in that chamber. I think I would build the chamber upward so you have carboys needing more warmth at the top. Then have the temp probe on the bottom newest fermentation. It seems like a fine juggling act that you will need to perform.

Back