Blizzard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hostileNabusive

Reaction score
Well winter isn't kidding anymore. The high for today is supposed to between -10 and -15, currently it's -12, the windchill has dropped to -44 below. Sustained winds of 37 mph with gusts to 48. We're also getting 6 new inches of snow. Visibility is < .1 of a mile, a lot of the time it's just a pure whiteout.

The interstate is closed as are the buildings in town and on campus, and it's finals week this week! A lot of pissed of people no doubt went to the library to study only to have to turn around and march back through this mess.

It's at this point in the year when I wonder who in their right mind pulled up in their covered wagon and was like "yeah... lets stay here!".

Anyhow, hope you guys are stayin warm:mug:

We got our first snow of the year last night and this morning. Almost 4" on the ground. Two more inches and it'll shut everything down! :D

we've got a mid-december thaw going today it's in the upper 30 low 40's and overcast. yesterday it was bout 24 till 5 or 6 at nite.

It's miserable here- it's sort of raining/misting on top of the 5 inches of snow we got this morning, and in a few hours the temperature is supposed to drop significantly. I don't think it's supposed to get above 0 for the next three or four days, and the winds are picking up. I won't let my kids drive until the roads aren't ice covered.

My house is a cozy 74 degrees. 48 degrees outside. We have a winter snow storm warning in effect through Monday. People out here freak out when any form of water hits the ground. You should see them try to drive when it's wet out here.

We got maybe 2" total in my area. Kids are having a blast, roads are good, but if it freezes tonight like it's supposed to, black ice is probably going to be an issue. I really want to brew today outside, I think that would make for some cool pics.

Ouch that sounds chilly. It was a nippy 68* on my drive around town this morning. I had to roll up my windows because my ears were getting cold!

I just smoked for 4 hrs some pork. It was the coldest smoke evar! 125 degrees. Looks like the oven for another 5 hrs

Its gona be 60 here tomorrow! WE did MD brew day yesterday, and it was 34 at the peak! wild swinging temps.... Heavy drinking... oh yeah im sick!

I'm watching football and a message started rolling across the screen the first words being: "No travel advised in the entire state of North Dakota." HaHa, oh man.

I was forced to make an "emergency trip" to a buddy's with my brother's truck. I don't know what it is about snow but it's hard to not find an excuse to get out and plow through some drifts in 4 wheel.

It's at this point in the year when I wonder who in their right mind pulled up in their covered wagon and was like "yeah... lets stay here!".

Probably the same people that settled Greenland, "A kilometer of ice, nothing to eat and on top of a volcano. Perfect!"

50F here yesterday, no snow (I hate snow), cold today and colder as the week progresses, BUT I will be down in TX, FL and Mexico on my next round of flights starting in, oh, 2 days!

Still, no appreciable snow here for the next 10 days... which I am thankful for.

Rained most of yesterday and knocked down the 8+ inches of snow we've had so far to maybe 2 inches.

Then it promptly froze and the wind is kicking around 30mph bursts. Schools closed left and right and tomorrow isn't looking any better.

We are just starting the roller coaster here in the plains. Yesterday it was 65*F in the afetrnoon and 20*F by nightfall. Today it's 18*F.

Prolly won't see any snow until after christmas but even then it's most likely just going to be ice.

and here I thought this was going to be a Warcraft post... :p

Although the other day I got a call from my dad asking if everything was ok, only to find out that northern New England had a big ice storm that dropped power for 1.5m people.

We had sunny and 80 degrees yesterday. Perfect for my son's paintball party. This morning however, we awoke to 35 degrees. Darn Global Warming. :D

Get with the program Ed. The new buzzwords are "Climate Change" these days.

Now, warm or cold, it's still our fault!

66 degrees as I sit here in overcast southwest va.

Its december, were supposed to have snow on the ground now.

I guess mother nature is making up for a fridgid november.

Yep, nice and melty all day yesterday until afternoon, then winds came up strong, and temp went down like a $10 hooker. Today it's still blowing pretty good, and freezing cold. Cruel joke if you ask me.

I was just thinking this morning, "At least I'm not up in North Dakota!"

20 degrees right now in Bellingham, WA. Windchill is 2 degrees. Winds gusting up to 54 MPH. I live on a mountain with steep roads that get real icy. We had cars all over the ditches this weekend - It happens after the first snowfall every year. Not too hard to believe though with drivers like this- I saw a teenage girl driving on solid ice at about 40 in a 25 laughing and talking on her cell......

and here I thought this was going to be a Warcraft post... :p

Although the other day I got a call from my dad asking if everything was ok, only to find out that northern New England had a big ice storm that dropped power for 1.5m people.

We were at the fringe area with about half an inch of ice before the temps got above freezing. Just north of me not 15 miles they still have no power. I have a woodstove and a generator so its not a problem for me personally if the power goes out. I did lend my generator to my daughters in laws they have been out since early Friday morning .Would rather have snow than freezing rain any day

Got a couple inches here, the wet stuff that freezes into glare ice. Apparently two road-sanding trucks in Portland slid into the ditches. Windchill of 7F by the house, about -10F down in the fields.

Ran an experiment yesterday heating the house with wood. Takes a heap. At $120 a face cord, about twice the cost of the heatpump. Of course, I could rent a bulldozer and fetch some of the windfall off the north slope for 'free'. I think I'll save what wood I have for when the power goes out.

Got a couple inches here, the wet stuff that freezes into glare ice. Apparently two road-sanding trucks in Portland slid into the ditches. Windchill of 7F by the house, about -10F down in the fields.

Ran an experiment yesterday heating the house with wood. Takes a heap. At $120 a face cord, about twice the cost of the heatpump. Of course, I could rent a bulldozer and fetch some of the windfall off the north slope for 'free'. I think I'll save what wood I have for when the power goes out.

Holy crap 120 a face cord ?! its 150 for a full cord of Hard wood here delivered. I never bought it as I get wood for free Son in law works for the town Highway dept. And now I have pellet stove upstairs in the den that works great paid 200 a ton for pellets SWMBO got tired of her office/man cave in the basement being in the 90's to crank the heat to the rest of the house. Was 71* in the house this morning @ 21* outside. I only use fuel oil for the hot water now.

Back