Got the malts for St. Peters Cream Stout!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
Fresh from an email from the brewery, no recipe, but a list of malts. The hops I know from the label.

80% pale ale malt
6% each crystal and chocolate
4% each wheat and black malt

This was what was sent to me. Thoughts??
I posted this on the old thread, but decided to start a fresh one.

Just a comment - I would guess that the crystal would be Crystal 120. I've had a hard time finding lighter crystals in the UK, and 120 seems to be the most commonly available one (and I assume the most commonly used). That said, St Peters are a newer brewery, so they may have sourced their malts from somewhere with a better range. But for a first attempt, I'd try 120.

Danek.

All the crystal I have bought has been crystal 55.
I've never seen darker.
Hmm, interesting - I suspect I may be still in the brewing dark ages! I may also be overgeneralising from where I get most of my brewing supplies, which is Hop & Grape. They sell C120, and also C55 which (I think) they label as being an unusually light form of crystal. And apart from a couple of small local brewshops, that's the extent of my experience. So if you've seen C55 as the most common form of crystal over here, then I suspect it'd be a wiser move to go with that as the standard form of crystal, as I believe you're some way more experienced at brewing than me. :mug:

It could well be a darker one.

If you add the 55/60 you can boost it with black/patent malt.
If you add the 120 then you can not detract what it adds.

I'd be tempted to go for the mid range and if it doesn't seem right then go for the darker.

You could always do a test mash in a sauce pan and see how it comes out.

I think when I do it I will shoot for mid range. If for no other reason, there was no overt flavors in this stout. Everthing seemed well balanced.

Back