Soda Preservation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Vorlauf

Reaction score
I have never made a soda but since the wife bought me a kegging system for fathers day , I want to give it a shot.

Basically I will do a strong ginger beer Jamaican style with some ginseng. Aside from the obvious and normal sanitation how do you keep the sugar in the soda from being infected by bacteria and yeast ? I do have access to food grade sodium benzoate but would hate to add this to my soda.

I have never made a soda but since the wife bought me a kegging system for fathers day , I want to give it a shot.

Basically I will do a strong ginger beer Jamaican style with some ginseng. Aside from the obvious and normal sanitation how do you keep the sugar in the soda from being infected by bacteria and yeast ? I do have access to food grade sodium benzoate but would hate to add this to my soda.

If you want, you can mix the sugar with water and boil it to be sure. From there on, the sealed keg or bottles and co2 will help it to stay fresh longer.

Back