Ending my drought...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy Boner

Reaction score
:mug:Going to day to pick up enough ingredients to brew a 8 gal batch. Been layed off for a couple months, but got offered a new position for the same company and a little more salary. Now if it will just last a while (like about 11 more years) I'll retire and become my own full time brewer. I work for a wood products company. The industry has been hit pretty hard for the last couple of years. Figure I'll do my favorite, a nice stout recipe I've been tweaking since I started brewing. How's this sound?
10 lb. DME
1 lb roasted barley
1 lb choclate malt
1.5 lb flaked barley
.375 lb black patent
Nottinghams or S-04 for yeast
2 oz. Northern Brewers @ 60 min.
full boil down to 8 gallons
I CAN'T WAIT!:mug::ban::D

Whats the ABV on that bad boy? I have yet to do a stout but im seriously considering it. And congrats on the job. I think every industry is hurting right now so i feel your pain.

mmm...northern brewer...

that sounds like way too much roasted malts, even for 8 gallons. i don't like my stuff too roasty, tho, so if that's your preference then go ahead, brew it up and drown that drought!!!! :D

:mug:It calculates out to 5.9% and I added another oz. of hops for about 45 IBU's. I haven't in the past put Black Patent in there and then decided to just use 4 oz. See if it changes. This started out as a clone of the Terminator Stout from McMenamins, a recipe I found on Bader Beer and Wine Supply site. From there I added the choclate malt and now the Black Patent, it's getting close to where I like it.:mug: Next up, a Hammerhead clone (of course tweaked a little).;)

Drowning in a nice stout sounds way better than drowning in PBR.

Congsats on the job! Just changed my job 9 months ago and it was a bit unsettling after 21 years at my previous job but has been very rewarding with double the money and benefits!
Dittos on the brewing draught. Been like 2-3 months since I've brewed. Lazyness, planting my hops and lack of time have really set me back. But I'm working on a wheat today and hope to start my Braggot Mon.
Hey T.R. - BB makes an Imperial Russion Stout kit that is a hit with everyone who tries it. It would make a great first stout for you to do.

Back