Boil Over Help Fast!!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
I am in the process of boiling a Nut Brown Ale...I looked away for a minute and had a boil over! I'd say I lost approx. 1-1.5 cups of wart....i know the beer will probably be fine.....what effects will this have...is there anything I can do to compensate for the boil over???

Thanks,

Jim

you don't need to do anything to compensate... just go pay attention to your boil

Thanks for the prompt response guys.....

I think I had too many brews during the boil!

The good news is, my first batch (mild ale) came out AWESOME!

:mug:

Bopper359 said:
I am in the process of boiling a Nut Brown Ale...I looked away for a minute and had a boil over! I'd say I lost approx. 1-1.5 cups of wart....i know the beer will probably be fine.....what effects will this have...is there anything I can do to compensate for the boil over???

If you're really anal about it, or if you lose a lot of wort, you could compensate the total batch side proportionally. (This is assuming you are boiling something less than the full 5 gallons).

If you're boiling 2.5 gallons and lose a pint of wort (.125 gallon), then technically you should reduce your total batch size by .25 gallon so that the gravity hits your target. But it's probably better to just have a homebrew and clean that mess up.

Thanks. Any thoughts on hot airation? When the o2 gets into the wort at hot temps it binds to the wort molecules. When these break down over time I have heard that this can produce an off-flavor...like cardboard/sherry like.

How long does it take for this to happen? (maybe I just need to drink the case quickly :drunk:

It was a minor boil over anyways...definitely less than 1 pint. Should I even be worrying about this?

Thanks for your help everyone....the beer is fermenting like CRAZY right now...good thing i have it in a 6.5 gal carboy otherwise i may have come home to a mess

watch that pot after extract and first hop addition and other additions until after that foam or hop mush rises and falls. I've boiled over 3 times so far and I won't do it again.

It was horrible....

the beer was great it was the wife.

I know, tell me about it. It was a disaster...I didn't clean it up until the end of the boil...it under the burners and everything....it took forever to get that crap off

I boiled over once when I first started, haven't done it since. I'd rather stare over the pot for 15 mins than scrub the stove for an hour.

BeeGee said:
Best way to compensate is to thoroughly clean the stovetop before your SO sees it. The beer is fine...your backside may not be!

I was just about to say this:) My SWMBO was cleaning the stove the other day and I swear she said something like.... "Looks like something boiled over." without even thinking of beer actually. I heard it and heard "Boil Over". Sure enough I missed some (actually a lot) when I had a small boil over... ok... I thought it was a small one:)

Latest posts

Back