Best way to kill yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couevas

Reaction score
I am looking into the future and see SWMBO saying that she want's the apfelwein to be sweeter.

What is the best way to kill the yeast?
A little potassium sorbate and some campdens?

Most folks who are interested in sweetening the final product will add some unfermentable sugars to the Apfelwein, i.e. Splenda or lactose. do a little poking around the thread(early on I believe) and you'll find out how they did it.

If you're not naturally carbonating, the campden and sorbate work great. That's how I sweeten all my wines that need it. But, as blacklab said, many people have been using lactose (milk sugar) or splenda, if they need the yeast to carbonate.

Sorta on the same subject............does anyone know if Xylitol or Sorbitol are fermentable? I found on wiki about xylitol saying "Recent research[8] confirms a plaque-reducing effect and suggests that the compound, having some chemical properties similar to sucrose, attracts and then "starves" harmful micro-organisms, allowing the mouth to remineralize damaged teeth with less interruption. (However, this same effect also interferes with yeast micro-organisms and others, so xylitol is inappropriate for making yeast-based bread, for instance.)"

So I'm guessing no on Xylitol, but would I still be able to naturally carb with it I wonder>?

Campton won't kill brewers yeast but Pot Sorbate will.

I use campton to kill natural yeast when doing fruit wines, and use it to neutralize
chlorimines in my municipal water, so it don't affect my brew.

Back