Changing Jobs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
So, I had a rather exciting development in my rather boring life this week. I’ve been thinking of starting to look for a new job as my current one has come up short in several ways. I like the work I do, but the company hasn’t been doing well. That means, very little in the way of raises over the past 5+ years and almost constant layoffs hanging over my head. Additionally, I haven’t been getting the bulk of my 10% bonus in most years. All this AND my wife has not been working – by plan for the most part, but it still hurts.

So, you might ask why I didn’t start looking a long time ago. Well, I get to work from home as often as I want. That is a HUGE plus. They’re also paying for me to get my MBA, which is nice. My boss is fairly understanding of my situation and has promised to work on getting me promoted this year – something that SHOULD mean more money.

Well, pretty much out of nowhere; I get a call from someone that found my resume on CareerBuilder.com. I was a little surprised because I haven’t updated that site in over a year – probably closer to two. She wanted to talk to be about a job in downtown Chicago. I figured, what the hell, what could it hurt to listen? If nothing else, I could use it as ammo to get some money out of my current company.

It turns out the company is pretty impressive – global with lots of growth potential. I’ve talked with the hiring manager and his boss in London; both seemed like great people and reasonably impressed with my credentials. The scope of the work sounds pretty interesting, but I REALLY didn’t want to commute downtown every day. Well, turns out they will let me work from home a couple of days a week once I get comfortable. Perfect!

So, I’m pretty excited today! I’m hoping they make me an offer and if it’s competitive, I’m probably going to take it. Just like that, I go from thinking about making a move to something TOTALLY falling in my lap! This kind of stuff just doesn’t happen to me!

I guess I don’t really have a point here, just rambling about this since it looks like it might happen; and I’m REALLY hoping it works out. I don’t really want to tell family yet as nothing is definite, so you get read this - lol.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

That's great man!
Seems like most people I know have been getting kicked in the nutts by their current employers. So it's good to hear someone out there has good news. :mug:

Get everything in writing. Working from home? Get it in writing. Employers that are full of **** get ticked that you want the job objectives and perks (working at home) in writing. Employers that are honest and respectable have NO problem with this. Asking to legally record all that is required of you and what you expect in terms of salary (obviously) AND working conditions (at home days/week) should not be a big deal. If it is, step away.

I'm a Private business partner. I would EXPECT something like a written agreement in place in situations like yours (in addition to the standard company hire document). It tells me the employee is serious and knows what he/she is getting into and is there for the long haul. Solid employers know they spend too much money/effort/time finding a good long-term fit for their business. Crap employers simply don't care because they know the job sucks and the turnover is high.

Have a lawyer to go over your contract. The longer the contract the more questionable..........

I got an interview next week and one on the phone...hopefully it works out for both of us!!!!!!

Edit: As for getting it in writing - I can't say I agree or disagree, but I've been promised a LOT by new employers and NONE of it that wasn't written down (salary) has come true. They've changed my hours, reniged on promises of working remotely, etc. I dunno how I'd feel about asking for that, as it could disqualify you from a job - not because they aren't willing to do it it beacuse they're crappy employers, but it does make you sound kinda like a PITA that they might not want on their staff.

Wow- great news! Even if you decide not to take it because you don't want to commute 3 days a week, you know that you are a valuable employee and you have choices.

The Lord works in wonderful ways. His timing always seems to be "perfect", even if it rarely matches our own. Good luck!

Good luck rdwj.

I just got an offer this week from a company that happened to be here doing some other work, AND got email from hiring person at my old job asking if I'm interested in coming back. Seems a good week all around. C ourse, now I'm not sure whether to take first or go back to odl job. C'est la vie.

.....*grumble*.... lucky bastige.... *grumble*......

..... goes back to monster.com..... again..

Well, in the hopes of spurring your good luck, I'll tell you about mine.

I'm a physician in private practice....a small private practice that hasn't been doing all that well, really. Between deadbeat debtors (it's really amazing that you can "save" their family/kid, they can be "eternally grateful" to you, yet they still won't pony up on their bill. Really something, huh?) and low fees paid by insurance. (D'ya know that doctors get reimbursed on the Medicare--which other insurances uses as a base--fee schedule for 1996?! ) Well, I'm not much of a business person anyway, either, so I could've made some better decisions, too.

Bottom line, like you, I wasn't even really looking and landed my dream job. As of June 1 I'll be a professor at my old medical school! How 'bout that?!

I move in about a week. Now, I'm not kidding you, the transition has been difficult. I've been shutting down the practice since Feb and the move, logistically, will be hard. I've found a house to rent until we sell ours here (sometime this decade, hopefully, given the current market). It's a cool house, nestled between a river and the Cherokee Nat'l Forest. Hell, we might just live there while we build our next house!

So I'll send good wishes and prayers your way, and to all of those who are in some kind of employment flux right now. I hope it goes well for all of us.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Good luck on the interview. Hopefully we can meet somewhere for a beer and celebrate!:mug:

Well, I got an offer! It's right about what I expected. I've heard that you never take an offer without countering, but I've never really done that before.

Any advice on what type of percentage is "fair" in a counter? I was thinking of right about 10%, but think that might be pushing it.

Oh, and I'm almost 100% certain that there are no other candidates. The hiring manager didn't exactly come out and say that, but I got the impression that's the case.

Well, I got an offer! It's right about what I expected. I've heard that you never take an offer without countering, but I've never really done that before.

Any advice on what type of percentage is "fair" in a counter? I was thinking of right about 10%, but think that might be pushing it.

Oh, and I'm almost 100% certain that there are no other candidates. The hiring manager didn't exactly come out and say that, but I got the impression that's the case.

"Trust the force, Luke"... If you feel it's a "go" then go for it. If you love your job you'll excell at it and everybody will know "you're the man" and you'll get the paycheck you deserve. There's nothing more to it than beleaving in yourself and just go for it and see where you end up.

H

Oh, and as the master of negotiation/persuation I am, a common negotiation strategy is that "we don't really know who you areand what you do", so if you enconter that you can allways reognise their position by saying " Oh, I understand you do not know who I am and what I bring to your company.

How about this, lI'll take what you offer for now, because I recognise you don't know who I am and what I can bring to the company. So, how about this -let's have a meeting in about 4-6month when you have a better understanding about who I am and what good things I bring to the company".

That way you've recogniced their worries and set yourself up for a salary negociation in one centence...

H

I had an awesome interview today and feel pretty good about my chances as well. Another conference call interview with the out of towner guys tomorrow and they said I could hear as early as friday.

We discussed potential start dates and pretty much nailed an exact salary down, and I have no interest in countering.

I will give you my advice - if you like the job and want the job, TAKE the job. Personally, if you CO'd me and I was hiring, you'd have to be awesome for me to want to cave in - and I'd probably think you were a ****** for making trouble - unless it's legit in regards to difference in employee paid parking or employee healthcare contribution amounts, but don't just ask for more for the sake of asking for it.

rdwj, make the counter-offer of 10%. I've always assumed and believed that you shouldn't leave a job unless you're moving up in either status or paygrade (and usually both). I build a 10% raise into my salary requirements when looking. If their offer is in line with what you're currently making, then you should definitely counter-offer. Remember, they're not doing you any favors and you should be eternally grateful. You're offering your services as a skilled employee and they're paying you for it. That's it.

Also, if you have to commute into downtown, you're going to need to build in anything additional above your initial 10% pay upgrade into your counter-offer. I mean, if you're already getting a 10% increase and don't ask for more, when you factor in travel expenses (gas or train/bus pass) and time your 10% will start looking more like 5%-7% (even lower if you drive everyday). And, if they're global and expect travel, that's time away from the family (which could be good) that you need to factor in.

rdwj, make the counter-offer of 10%. I've always assumed and believed that you shouldn't leave a job unless you're moving up in either status or paygrade (and usually both). I build a 10% raise into my salary requirements when looking. If their offer is in line with what you're currently making, then you should definitely counter-offer. Remember, they're not doing you any favors and you should be eternally grateful. You're offering your services as a skilled employee and they're paying you for it. That's it.

Also, if you have to commute into downtown, you're going to need to build in anything additional above your initial 10% pay upgrade into your counter-offer. I mean, if you're already getting a 10% increase and don't ask for more, when you factor in travel expenses (gas or train/bus pass) and time your 10% will start looking more like 5%-7% (even lower if you drive everyday). And, if they're global and expect travel, that's time away from the family (which could be good) that you need to factor in.

Thanks Sean,

I've actually already countered - just waiting to hear back from them. I made a very convincing offer of why I needa little more than the initial offer. I already had travel / parking and commute built into my negotiations.

It's actually a pretty significant upgrade in salary and title, so I'm pretty happy. I just wanted the extra few bucks to make sure that SWMBO can stay at home and not worry about making a few bucks.

Thanks Sean,

I've actually already countered - just waiting to hear back from them. I made a very convincing offer of why I needa little more than the initial offer. I already had travel / parking and commute built into my negotiations.

It's actually a pretty significant upgrade in salary and title, so I'm pretty happy. I just wanted the extra few bucks to make sure that SWMBO can stay at home and not worry about making a few bucks.

Dude, are you going to be working downtown everyday? That's going to be a long a$$ commute. I was joking with her about moving down to Plainfield and she figured out that the commute would be like a 1 hr to 1.5 hours each way - for your sake, I hope not.

You could always employ my negotiating method. Tell them you want more money or you'll take a dump on their conference room table. It's usually hit-or-miss with me as far as raises, but either way I win.

Man, I didn't see this until today! What news! Good luck with the C/O.

Yeah, the commute vs. working from home is a downside. But it isn't the taking the train part that sucks. That beats driving anyday and saves money vs. driving. I wish I could still take the train to work. What sucks is getting to and from the train station and parking!

Keep us posted. A celebratory beer is in order if all goes well! Hmmm... maybe I ought to revamp my resume and post the damn thing.

Well, it's official! They came back with a second offer that was really close to my counter and I took it! I'll have the official offer letter tomorrow.

More money
More opportunity
Flex schedule that will allow me to work from home part of the week after 3 months
Nice bonus structure!

I'm freakin excited!! Think I'll hit the homebrew early today!!

Congrats! That's dy-no-mite!​

406121161_ebb3dc2c5c_s.jpg

As soon as you clear the cobwebs out of your head from last night's celebration, let me say, "congrats!"

Congrats man.

And yeah, I love the train. Live 4-5 miles from train station on one end, office is about 7 blocks from ogilvie on other end, works great, even when there's snow on the ground.

Errr, that's what I will be doing if I take old job. New job will have me living somewhere and taking flights to work.

Back