Yeast Cake questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladodger34

Reaction score
A couple of questions..

I have a Scottish Ale fermenting away in a bucket right now and I am about a week away from bottling. I can't remember what yeast I pitched into it (it was part of my kit from Midwest). I have an Irish red kit from them as well that came with Munton's. After snooping around here for a bit, it seems like Munton's isn't a very good yeast to use.

Can I just rack the wort from my Irish Red onto the yeast cake from my scottish ale?

Can you? Absolutely.
Is it the best practice? Maybe.

There are benefits and drawbacks to pitching on an existing yeast cake, but it certainly can be done. Research what yeast came with the first kit (Midwest will probably tell you if you ask). Research that yeast to see what it's attributes are. If it sounds like it will compliment your next beer, you can try it.

Was it dry yeast that came with the Midwest kit? Because in that case I'd just buy another packet... Why risk the quality of 5 gallons of future delicious beer over a dollar fifty?

Matt3989 said:
Was it dry yeast that came with the Midwest kit? Because in that case I'd just buy another packet... Why risk the quality of 5 gallons of future delicious beer over a dollar fifty?

Yeah, after reading through all of this, i'll just spend a couple of bucks on a new packet.

Back