Did he ruin his beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUGER

Reaction score
A friend bottled his first brew. Then a week later (that's how long the instructions said to wait) he popped a top and it wasn't carbonated. So he unbottled the whole batch and reprimed/rebottled.
Did he ruin it or will it go ahead and carb?

Because of what I learned here I'm going to wait 3 weeks before I touch mine, it's going into the bottles this weekend.

He should have waited!

I'm not sure, but I'd venture to say he's now running the risk of bottle bombs if it didn't have any carbonation. Essentially he has twice the priming sugar.

And he has definitely opened the door for contamination.

They may have just been slow to carbonate, meaning they would have eventually. Now they may become bottle bombs.

Not to sound mean, but is your friend sure he primed in the first place?

so he primed it twice???

if he did, my guess is that yeah...he WAY overcarbed his beer and in a few weeks they'll start becoming bottle bombs.

I love all these troll threads popping up all over the place...

If you are serious then i would tell him to uncap for 24 hours and recap. Let some sugar ferment out.

If you are serious then i would tell him to uncap for 24 hours and recap. Let some sugar ferment out.

People actually waste time trolling homebrewers? How interesting....

Johnnyhitch1 said:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what exactly is a troll? I thought it was someone who surfed boards like this until they found someone to talk $h!+ about and proceeded to do so. You didn't quote anybody, so I'm not sure who you are accusing...

I looked it over and the only post I saw that seemed like it could be mean was mine. To the OP, sorry if I came across that way.

Not just the overcarbing, but there is a chance the beer got oxygenated in the procces as well

Troll? Really? I can see how I might have worded this like a total newb but somethings you just can't make up and I'm pretty sure I posted this in the pre-school section. I was wanting to know because I haven't even bottled my first yet.
I'll use the search function and what I can't find with the search function I'll ask here and try not to look like a troll.

I may warn him about the hazards of a double carb and maybe not, I'd kind of like to know what happens myself (insert evil smily)

I'll remember the oxygen too in case it tastes funny.

I looked it over and the only post I saw that seemed like it could be mean was mine. To the OP, sorry if I came across that way.
No apology necessary.
I'm sure the troll comment was aimed at me. I'm really new here. Like I said my first batch isn't even in the bottles yet.

I sincerely appreciate all help too.

you're asking questions and taking the time to read and learn. that's more than most ;) good on ya!

How did he prime again? Did he pour back into the bottling bucket, add more sugar, and bottle again? Or did he add more sugar/carb drops to each bottle?

Either way, put the bottles in a plastic tote, and wear heavy gloves and safety glasses when handling them. And keep the dog/kids/SWMBO away from the bottles.

RUGER said:
No apology necessary.
I'm sure the troll comment was aimed at me. I'm really new here. Like I said my first batch isn't even in the bottles yet.

I sincerely appreciate all help too.

It's a beginners beer brewing forum. Don't hesitate to ask questions because people might talk down to you. Somewhere between the clueless beginner (you and me, for example) and the helpful, genius veterans (Revvy and Yooper, for example - if you haven't seen their posts, you shouldn't have to search more than about 5 seconds), you find a condescending a-hole or two. Also some misunderstandings, so try to give the benefit of the doubt. Keep brewing and keep asking questions.

I agree with what's being said. 1 concern is the possibility of bottle bombs. That is a bad thing. Also, oxidized beer is possible. The bottles should probably be placed some place safe.

How did he prime again? Did he pour back into the bottling bucket, add more sugar, and bottle again? Or did he add more sugar/carb drops to each bottle?

Either way, put the bottles in a plastic tote, and wear heavy gloves and safety glasses when handling them. And keep the dog/kids/SWMBO away from the bottles.

i wasn't quite sure if he just added to the bottle or unbottled the whole batch. He had some bulk sugar on hand and some little pills, so I'm not sure.

Hey I like your name on here.
One of my dogs is named Ruger.

After Bill Ruger and that little company he founded.

My pistol is named Ruger, after Bill Ruger and........yea you get it, lol

FWIW, when I bottled my fourth batch I was in a hurry and thought I'd forgotten the priming sugar in the boiling water. So I added the sugar. Turns out I had not forgotten it initially. So I double primed the batch. That night I heard some strange noises but ignored them. A week later--after returning from vacation--I checked my 12 oz. gems and found that three of them had sprayed small shards and delicious double IPA all over the closet. I now have ridiculously over carbonated double IPA. Once they are uncapped and settle a bit they are wonderful. Neighbor drinks them inspire of the foam.

Lessons
1) develop a system
2) use said system

It's a beginners beer brewing forum. Don't hesitate to ask questions because people might talk down to you. Somewhere between the clueless beginner (you and me, for example) and the helpful, genius veterans (Revvy and Yooper, for example - if you haven't seen their posts, you shouldn't have to search more than about 5 seconds), you find a condescending a-hole or two. Also some misunderstandings, so try to give the benefit of the doubt. Keep brewing and keep asking questions.

Here is a very good one by Revvy that may help you soon https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/ I would read it before you bottle your first batch.

Hey I like your name on here.
One of my dogs is named Ruger.

After Bill Ruger and that little company he founded.

I'm a big fan. I like your user id too. a No.1 in that caliber is next on my list when I can bootleg enough to pay for it. LOL Of course, I wouldn't mind having one of the Sharps either. Do you patch or grease yours?

Here is a very good one by Revvy that may help you soon https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/ I would read it before you bottle your first batch.

Thanks. I did read it and picked up what I needed yesterday afternoon to do this.

I'm a big fan. I like your user id too. a No.1 in that caliber is next on my list when I can bootleg enough to pay for it. LOL Of course, I wouldn't mind having one of the Sharps either. Do you patch or grease yours?

Thanks. I did read it and picked up what I needed yesterday afternoon to do this.

No bullet lube in the sharps. It's not an original and I don't shoot black powder in it.
Now my trapdoor is a genuine 1884 made rifle and it would be a death wish to shoot modern powder 45-70 through it so it gets real powder ( no pyrodex or the like) and I've got pre lubed bullets on top of a wad.
I'm still working out the perfect load for that one. I've got the same bullet cast with three hardnesses of lead and sized with three different sizing dies for a total of 9 variations on the same bullet mold.

I have came close to buying a #1 in 45-70 also,just never have pulled the trigger.

#1's are awesome.
I had a 458 win mag that could touch bullet holes at 200 yards.
I sold it to fund another rifle. I need to replace that thing.

Back