Crazy mash, now bad attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks, sorry to start yet another attenuation thread, but here goes...

I am new to AG brewing, and my third AG brew -- a brown porter -- is currently a few weeks into primary. I was shooting to mash in the 152-154 ballpark, but over the course of the mash the temp started to drop and so I goosed the burned a bit. However, I think the heat was really stratified, because as I stirred the mash, my temp readings jumped through the roof -- into the mid 160s. I immediately killed the burner and tried to get the temp down to my intended mash temp as quickly as possible via stirring, etc. I also did an extended mash, hoping to get some further activity at the right temp. I was afraid that I effectively mashed out halfway through the mash; however, my numbers came out OK (OG was in the 1.050s). [As an aside, I learned a lot from this experience, and my brewdays have gone much more smoothly since.]

For fermentation, I pitched one packet of S-04 and fermented at 68F for one week, then moved to ambient temp (approx 74F) for another week or so to clean up. At that point, I was down to 1.028. Knowing the tendency of this yeast to flocc out, I gently roused and checked back in another week: down to 1.024. I roused again and checked it last nite: still at 1.024.

So far it tastes great, if a little sweet. My gut tells me to pitch another packet of yeast to see if I can't get another ten points or so out of it. But I am afraid that in my mess of a mash, I failed to convert enough fermentable sugars and that it would be a waste of a yeast packet. Any thoughts?

If it helps, here's the mashbill:

7# maris otter
1.5# brown malt
1# crystal 60
.25# black patent

As always, thanks for the insight.

Well, you have a ton of unfermentables in your beer just from the ingredients, since almost 30% of your grist is roasted or crystal malts. Is this your recipe or someone else's/a kit? Only the maris otter is providing anything fermentable to the wort- this would be a pretty dark roasty sweet beer even with 10lbs of base malt. It may be completely finished.

Are you using a hydrometer to check your gravity, or a refractometer? A refractometer will not work once your beer has started fermenting as the alcohol throws off the readings quite badly, and any online calculators to correct for it are inaccurate at best.

A mash at 154 is fairly high anyways and will leave a less fermentable wort. Also, the thickness of the mash will be somewhat important as well. Also, s-04 does love to drop out quickly. But, one package should have been plenty of yeast for that OG. My opinon is that adding another package of s-04 won't do anything. You could try adding some actively fermenting s-05. But even then I don't think you'll get much more out of it due to the temps. So, rather than screwing around with your beer, I would keg it and be done with it.

Well, you have a ton of unfermentables in your beer just from the ingredients, since almost 30% of your grist is roasted or crystal malts. Is this your recipe or someone else's/a kit? Only the maris otter is providing anything fermentable to the wort- this would be a pretty dark roasty sweet beer even with 10lbs of base malt. It may be completely finished.

Are you using a hydrometer to check your gravity, or a refractometer? A refractometer will not work once your beer has started fermenting as the alcohol throws off the readings quite badly, and any online calculators to correct for it are inaccurate at best.

Brown malt commonly used in brown porter. I use three pounds, along with some maris otter malt. It'll ferment just fine. I think the problem is the denaturing of the enzymes before the mash got completely converted, due to the high temperature.

I'd call it done at this point.

That's what I was afraid of, too. Ah well, live and learn. At least it tastes great -- Nice and roasty!

Thanks for the confirmation, fellas!

Back