emptying a carbed keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drathbone

Reaction score
I got prob around 4g of a my first kegged beer that I've decided needs dumping. Still tastes like crap and is just taking up a keg at this point. How do I empty it while the keg is fully carbed, do I just pull the handle at serving pressure? I'm assuming this is a waste of c02 if there is another way. Can I just pop the lid? It's a pin lock keg.

You're over-thinking.

Disconnect the keg completely - beer and gas lines. Press down on the gas poppet with something pointy to let all the gas pressure out, then remove the lid and find some place to dump the beer...

Cheers!

So the beer won't spurt out all over when I press down on the poppet? I thought people have had issues with this on pin lock kegs spraying everywhere after carbonation and not connecting them correctly.

It'll only spray if it's over full. If you've got around 4 gallons in, you should be fine. Just in case, I place a rag over the post to catch what spray there is.

LOL! Well, if you press down on the wrong poppet, you will get hosed. So make sure you press down on the gas poppet.

Sorry to read about the whole bad beer/dumping thing. Tragic. But you'll make a come back!

Cheers!

Pour it from the tap into bottles, set them aside for a few months to see if they improve. Empty keg and "saved " beer.

For this sad task, I let the keg warm up, set the pressure relief to stay open, then pop the lid and dump the bad beer down the toilet.

Back