Jet burners, do NG need larger s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdilley

Reaction score
Excuse the question but couldnt seem to find an answer but in larger NG nozzle jet burners, do you need larger gas pipes to service them with enough flow or does standard house pipes have enough diameter.

I have a 26 gallon pot I want to bring to the boil rapidly but also wonder if the NG ones are adjustable enough to do step mashes on or are they jus good for boiling.

Is 10 too few to boil 26 gallon pot in short order or is the next size(s) up a better match?

I have a 23-tip natural gas burner and it is hooked up to the 3/4" pipe going to my hot water heater. I have a 1/2" gas line running about 20 feet to my burner, and there is plenty of gas delivered to burn clean. In fact, it's WAY too much for my 15 gallon HLT...a 10-tip NG burner would be more appropriate. I'm no plumber, so I don't know the pressure needed to supply that burner but it seems to work fine on my house line.

Nat gas is a little tricky. You have to take into account pipe size and length at least to the next largest trunk. For example, if you tapped off a 1" trunk with 1/2", you'd really only have to count the length of the 1/2" to figure out your BTU capacity.

I presume you're going to boil about 20-23 gallons in that 26 gallon pot. In that case, I'd want the 23 tip and I'd want to keep the run to under 30' of 1/2" supply for that.

Good info.

How do you regulate your flame?

I have a normal gas-rated ball valve, which regulates it down just fine without throwing a bunch of soot on the kettle. I don't know if this would be sufficient to work with a boil kettle, I just think the 23-tip is just too much heat for that. BUT, for the HLT it is perfect and I pretty much run it full blast except for the very end when I'm coming up to strike temp. You could buy an appliance regulator to bring the gas pressure down if you plan to use one of these larger burners for your boil kettle. I think somoene on here even snagged one from a stove or junked hot water heater.

Back