custom taps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mctc

Reaction score
Has anyone made a cool custom tap they would like to share? I have been thinking about trying this but Have not done it yet. I know you can buy the correct size threading and build up from it. Any tips on how to attach things? I have been thinking about casting one in zinc.

I think if you search the site you can probably find a few. The ones I remember were made out of table legs or chalkboard, there's even a vendor who makes some really nice ones out of exotic woods. Might want to use the term "tap handle" when you search, since a tap is technically the connector that you put on the keg to get the beer out.

I've met that vendor. He's a real jerk :)

You can see some of my work in this thread here. I'm currently running a special on in-stock handles.

Spitfire also makes some gorgeous tap handles from cast acrylic resin.

If you want to make them yourself, the easiest thing to do is get a 3/8"-16 threaded insert. You can get them at any hardware store, big box, McMaster, or pay a lot extra to get it from Morebeer.com.

-Joe

I use a cool gear shift knob that came out of race car. With my fridge I can't push a tall handle back far enough to shut it off, so this was a perfect solution.

Thanks for the links to the right threads.
Fisher those are beautiful handles. I love the one with the big knot.

it's a lot of fun making your own... are you thinking of making some on a lathe or using a preformed something-or-other and adding threads? here's the ones i made for my kegerator:

DSC00331.jpg

if you have any questions about getting the threads in or anything, shoot.

Back