What kind of bottled water to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddmuchmore

Reaction score
I got my first home brew kit in the mail today and I'm hoping to brew my first extract beer this weekend. Very excited.

The water in our apartment tastes terrible, we only drink bottled water (office cooler style), so I'm imagining that I should also used bottled water for the beer.

My question is what type of water should I be using? Distilled? Spring? Something else?

I searched around this forum, but didn't find an answer, so my apologies if this has been answered already.

Don't use distilled. Many stores have a "buy a bottle, cheap refills" drinking water system. One of the bottles of water (they're usually 5gal) from your office style cooler should work great. Just use whatever you drink, after all, you'll be drinking it!

Not distilled, as you need some 'hardness' to brew. Basic Spring Water. Don't splurge.

If your doing all extract I would recommend distilled. The company the created the extract certainly already have minerals in their water that end up in the extract so you really don't need to "double up". When I do extract brews I get the distilled water at wal-mart for about $0.75 a gallon. When you get to full/partial mash use spring water.

I would disagree with using distilled especially if you have any grains that need to be steeped. If it is all extract then I guess you could get away with it.

EDIT: I guess I just repeated what you said camiller. I don't really know what I thought I read.

There is absolutely no need to use distilled water for extract brewing. I use some distilled water in my all grain recipes based on my water chemistry adjustments to create a specific water profile. Just get your local store brand spring water and you'll be perfectly happy with the results.

Back