My poor man's setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickerNu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Pics from my Friday night brew session. AHS Scottish Export/ 80 Schilling kit. Trying out the new picture phone, so pardon the poor quality! Here is my BYO-inspired coutertop mash setup:
mash.jpg

Mashed a little over 4 lbs of grain in my 2.5 gallon cooler. 153 for 45 minutes.

And then the boil- 26qt stainless cheap pot from Austin Homebrew supply, on my 30$ turkey fryer
boil.jpg

And finally, in the fermenter, next to the apfelwein and beerswap brew I have yet to sample. First time I have ever hit my OG perfectly. Changed up my mash procedure a bit. I need to figure out efficiency formulas one day!
closet.jpg

I aspire to one day have such a cool setup! Maybe this summer I'll part with the cash and build a big MLT so I can go all grain. Just scared of big boil pot prices!

quickerNu said:
I aspire to one day have such a cool setup! Maybe this summer I'll part with the cash and build a big BLT so I can go all grain. Just scared of big boil pot prices!

Did you just buy the burner by itself and not as a part of a turkey fryer kit? I paid around $40 for the burner and an alum. 30 qt pot (I'd like to get a bigger pot at some point). Sure it would be nice to have a much larger SS pot, but for the time being my setup works for me!

By the way, what use would a big sandwich be for going all grain???

I don't know if you have the space, however, just to let you know... I built a two-tier (you have to lift the hot water into the MLT manually with a pitcher, but can then gravity-feed into the brew-pot, and into the CFC into the carboy). It was less than $100 and could have been less than $50 if I didn't choose to do a built-in water system.

2x4's or 2x6's cost about $3 a piece. Cheap!

You just need the space....

Looks like spellcheck got me! I meant MLT! I have plenty of room, just not much money. Every dime is going to a new house, but all-grain is cheaper in the long run, mini mash kits are getting expensive. I need a scale or 2 (grain and hops), a cooler, hardware, steel braid, and a big pot, not to mention a chiller. I have started doing full boils in my 26qt pot, but it is cutting it close. If it isn't really cold outside, I can't get the wort cool fast enough.
I bought the turkey fryer kit a long time ago, before I was into homebrewing. HEB charged me for the smaller kit, I even pointed it out, but the cashier said don't worry about it. :)
I have been very careful about not getting the wire wet, but I need to waterproof it before I screw up. Got the thermometer for 6 bucks on ebay-with shipping.

I use a turkey frying kit with a 40 quart stock pot (I have a keggle also) with lid. You can find them cheap for around 40 to 45 buck if you search right.

Here is one on ebay from a discount commercial equipment seller.

http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Restaurant-Equipment_W0QQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247

Save the money and buy a commercial stockpot and then modify it to add a ball valve and sight glass set up.

ww.cookware.com has some also.

Just a though

Bill

you aint to poor, I see a digital thermometer, I less off than that and I feel fine about it. a poor man sure can make good brew though

Cool. I scored the digital therm for less than 6 bucks with shipping on e-bay, and I just stepped up and bought a wort chiller today. Cheaper than I could even buy the copper to do it myself. Texas summer is coming. Finding an inexpensive big pot is all that is keeping me from AG!

Guess I need to update my pics and show off the AG poor man's setup- featuring a whopping 52% efficiency on brews 1 & 2. Forgot to waterproof the probe- thermometer crapped out on me.

Cool. I scored the digital therm for less than 6 bucks with shipping on e-bay, and I just stepped up and bought a wort chiller today. Cheaper than I could even buy the copper to do it myself. Texas summer is coming. Finding an inexpensive big pot is all that is keeping me from AG!

From this thread:

A 60 qt stock pot from Sam's club for $45.88.

Did you just buy the burner by itself and not as a part of a turkey fryer kit? I paid around $40 for the burner and an alum. 30 qt pot (I'd like to get a bigger pot at some point). Sure it would be nice to have a much larger SS pot, but for the time being my setup works for me!

i'm getting ready to go all grain after doing about a dozen extract batches. Need to get a big pot myself. I had always heard that Aluminum stock pots would leave a metallic taste in your beer... :cross:

I had always heard that Aluminum stock pots would leave a metallic taste in your beer... :cross:

Metallic tastes aren't from aluminum pots, but from ceramic coated steel pots being damaged. Among other reasons.
" Nicks and cracks in ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause" under MEtallic off flavors in HOW TO BREW. -p258- I did this to my pot and can taste it in my nut brown. The last batch i did in that pot.

Wow! that's.... Uh... err... pretty???

That's uh.err... PURE BM STYLE

I need to get pictures loaded from my brew day two weekends ago. My first attempt at setting up a teir system. GHETTO!!! haha

*to be edited with pics*

I have been brewing 5 gallon extract and partial grain batches for about 8-10 years now on the stove. I decided 2 months ago to go to 10 gallon all grain so I needed to move the operation out into the garage/driveway and switch to propane. I figured that if I weld up a frame myself it would be dirt cheap seeing that I get steel tubing for free as I work in the tubing industry. Wrong! Cost me about $375-400 for the burners, heat shields, plumbing, casters, weld wire, paint, refilled tank. I still have to get 3 new 15 gallon kettles to get the new setup up and brewing!

Although it will be sweet once it is all put together, I really didn't know what I got myself into in the beginning.

I already posted this pic on another thread...
2899161048_4602e7cba5.jpg

How Dare you post that in the Poor Man's setup thread. We come here with our setup's to get away from the fancy setups we cannot afford/build. :mad:

Nice setup though!:mug:

Back