Sorry folks - another question about stainless steel and brass fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
I followed Fly Guy's tutorial on converting a picnic cooler into an MLT. So I borrowed his parts list from that thread and went to Home Depot. Long story short, I got everything on the list, matched up the model/part numbers and everything just to see that they are made of brass. Isn't brass likely to rust and also not appropriate for brewing or food-grade use? I probably should've checked the packages before I went to the checkout but I luckily still have the receipt. The question is, does anyone know of a big box store that would have the necessary stainless steel fittings for a converted keg MLT?

Plenty of people use brass fittings. There's nothing wrong with them, especially if you treat them right. If you're paranoid you can 'pickle' them prior to use to remove any surface lead. Professional brewers, and homebrewers with fancier setups, tend to use stainless exclusively, but for most of us it's not affordable because the same fittings tend to cost at least twice as much in stainless as compared to brass.

I use stainless where I can, on the pieces that are affordable (pipe nipples, couplers) but everywhere else I use brass (hose nipples, ball valves, etc)

Back