Question for you single vessel, recirculating BIABers and efficiency.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
I BIABd for a year or so and love it. Just went to a 70qt Coleman mash tun. My kettle is a cut keg.

Am considering moving to electric and want to consider all my options.
I have read some great threads on electric, recirculating, BIAB setups.
What kind of realistic efficiency are you guys getting and also I am going to assume your recirculation is pretty slow due to the grain bed correct?
I like the efficiency I am getting with the mash tun, but if I can go back to one vessel, I would consider that for sure.

Help sway me back to the path of BIAB!
Thanks
Lakedawgs

I've been getting right at 70% on my system.
I've only brewed about 3 batches on it so far (SG of 1.041 - 1.056).
I do double crush the grain and I do "warm water" sparge with about 1 gal. of hot tap water (whatever it takes to get the brew kettle up to the desired starting volume).

I do keep the flow rate low.

Thanks,
Once I got my old standard BIAB rig dialed in, no pump or anything, I just wrapped the keg in a blanket once the mash temp was set, I was getting 73-75% efficiency.
I get 78-80% with my mash tun setup, but if I can get close to that with a properly setup recirculating BIAB rig I would like to lose the tun. I like one vessel brewing.

I get 75-80% with BIAB, grain crushed fine, propane, no recirculation, army blanket thrown over the kettle during the mash, sometimes with a mash out.

I am getting 78-80% with FGs ranging from 1.050 to 1.080 with BIAB no sparge, no mash out. I also have a mill and and do a fine crush (about 0.035" gab).

You can get good efficiency with BIAB no sparge. I think that the consistency between batches is more important than the brewhouse efficiency number.

I appreciate the input and have over 20 batches under my belt with BIAB. Do any of the previous responders have experience using a heating element and recirculating your mash with a pump during your mash period?

I get about the same efficiency when I do constant recirculation, no sparge BIAB as when I use my cooler MLT. I don't change my crush, though.

I do electric biab w/recirculation, efficiency for average strength brews is right around 82%.

I biab with a 25 gallon electric pot. I have about 6 batches in with it mostly moderate to higher gravity averaging between 70-75 % efficiency. I Started out trying to not to re-circulate, the pumps are part of the reason I don't use my 3 vessel setup much, however is its much easier to control the temp with a pump. I am now using a self primer pump that's much less of a pain.

Do you use a pid to control temp? Could you explain your system a bit if you don't mind. I'm getting ready to start ordering parts and want to make sure this is the route i want to take. Thanks.

I appreciate the input and have over 20 batches under my belt with BIAB. Do any of the previous responders have experience using a heating element and recirculating your mash with a pump during your mash period?

And I get around 80% using a very fine(lotsa flour) crush.

Pretty standard set up, Auber pid with a camco 5500 ulw element. I use the control panel I built for my bottom drain 3 vessel keggles set up with 2 pumps so its over kill for biab. Totally recommend the pid set up and Auber.

Back