Sam Adams Utopias....Worth it??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you finding it? I didn't know the new release was out already.

Nevermind.

well, it is like a good bottle of your favorite spirt or a good bottle of wine no one looks askew at a 200$ bottle of wine or a $200 bottle of cognac
why any diffrence for a fine brew? its not like swilling a BMC for $200

:mug:

for me it depends on context. just to have around the house? no way. but for, lets say, a wedding? yup.

The Common Table, in Dallas, will be doing a tasting of it on the 27th, if anyone is in the area. I'll definitely be there.

I saw some bottles of it at the local liquor store that also had a 21 bottle collection of irish whiskey for $250,000. I want to get it but $200 is sharp for that even though i spent $90 on Tactical nuclear penguin. I rather buy Jonny walker blue than that but its still egging me to buy it. I just want to giving a try. Need to find a bar that will have it per shot before pissing my money away

The Common Table in Dallas is selling 1 oz. pours for $15 today. Is that worth it in your opinion?

Up to you if it's worth it. I was at the local craft beer bar on Saturday. The owner's brother popped in and surprised a few of us with a free taste. To my wife and I, it tasted like a tawny port. We didn't get any carbonation- not sure if that was how it should be or if the bottle had been opened and the carb was just gone. I liked it but I'd be more inclined to pay 15 for another shot of it than 200 for a bottle- just my opinion.

The Common Table in Dallas is selling 1 oz. pours for $15 today. Is that worth it in your opinion?

If you want to taste it it is...unless you have a line somewhere that costs less.

$15 for a 1oz pour roughly doubles the price of a bottle, but paying more by the shot for Utopias is no different than buying any booze by the shot vs. by the bottle. If you want to buy a bottle your cost per shot will be half that, but you have to dish out quite a lot more up front...and then if you don't like it...

I had a 1 oz pour of 30year anniversary utopia tonight at a bar. I got other beers while drinking it and sat on it for about an hour. I thought it was good. Very expensive for 1 oz but worth the experience. The more it degassed the more the liquor burn went away. I like the caramel wood taste and smell too. Would I get a bottle? Probably not but I would probably go in on one with 2-3 people.

Totally- I don't think any bottle of beer could be "worth" $200 to me, I just don't think I'd get that much enjoyment out of it. But for $15 I could taste it, potentially enjoy that taste, evaluate it, think about all the flavors going on and how they came to be, and tell people about it for the rest of my life. I know myself and I wouldn't buy that bottle of beer, but I'm curious as much as the next guy.

Back