Home brewing in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Brendan,

Nice to see you here again.
Sorry to hear about the loss of one of your brews.
I will be testing the method in the future, just to quench my curiosity, but I do notice what appears to be an increase in the chlorine content over the course of several days.

Making a fresh batch each time is not a bad idea, although I think your best suggestion was to us it around the house... I hadn't thought of that!

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
(Hanami)

Ah, I lost that batch 2 years ago at least. To tell you the truth, I bottled it without noticing off flavors. It slowly developed a ring in the neck of some bottles, so I knew it was contaminated, but by the time I noticed that I had drank half of it. It wasn't intensely off, I checked other craft people's opinions at the time and it was barely noticeable to them even when they knew what to look for. That being said, I got my hands on some starsan ASAP after that and didn't look back. Watch out for the 2 types of bleach in Japan - one has additives, a surfactant I think. Blue and Pink caps - anyone know which one is the safe one for mixing? I've forgotten.

Yes I will be at Hanami. I made a bright pink wheat beer using beetroots. Its not too bad, a bit earthy but that was the trade-off for the coloring. My wife is coming too so I don't suspect we will stay too late.

In other news I was given a 2 ring commercial cast iron burner to use with city-gas. They are not supposed to be used in homes so I picked up 5 meters of gas hose and will try an outdoor brew for the first time next time I brew.

Well, I have one bottle for the kitchen with a pink top... and it does have a surfacant... I use a plain bleach in the brewery that has a blue lid... but it is an entirely different product.

Wheat beer... one of my favorites!

So I just posted a new thread, but just in case someone looks in here first. I am wondering if I can bring ingredients with me when I move to Japan at the end of May. I have several sealed bags of DME, specialty Grains, and Hops I also have a couple of items that have been opened, I am wondering which of these if any I can bring into country when I come and if it is best to Ship or to put in luggage.

Thanks

I'd say yes, no problem,
but you should be aware taxation laws prohibit homebrewing of anything over1%...
if you are asked, it might be better to identify products as "barley" or "food" rather than "beer making supplies"

Luggage should be fine. TSA sucks. Noone is more safe because they took away my bottle of nutella!

(as a rude opportunistic sidenote!) I need a red antisediment tip for my auto siphon...
a $0.99 item that costs $50+ to send via more beer etc.
If you could bring one with you... BEER!

https://www.morebeer.com/category/beer-racking-siphoning.html

Its crazy that they won't simply stick it in an envelop and send it to me as any friend might do!

See you in Japan!

jkpenrod,

Shipping is expensive unless you clear customs yourself, then it isn't too expensive. It's even easier if you crate it for shipping and organize a shipper- but that can be a pain.

Carrying it on the plane can get expensive quick- depending on the airline. Some charge per extra kilo some per piece. If you weigh everything then it can be reasonable. Korean Airlines for example charged me $100 for 25kg (above the standard 2 pieces of 25kg luggage allowed). If you are traveling with kids or someone and they are not using their 25 kg then you can pack a bag for them...

If I were you I would focus on stuff that weighs less: hops or specialty grains (of which you need less), yeast and any other things you use to brew (nutrients, cleaners, ect). Of course if you brew with DME then it is way cheaper in North American than here, but whole grains are not that expensive if you buy 25kg at a shot or split a shipment with a friend.

What ever you do I would not mention brewing beer unless prompted. I would stick with baking supplies or the like.

Welcome to Japan!

hey every one, first post, i recently moved to yokosuka and am trying to get my footing here as far as brewing goes, I'm currently looking for a Co2 bottle and a few other things. is there anyone in the area that would be interested in meeting up for drinks/ good times?

Hello! I'm new to Japan, specially Tokyo/Kawasaki area. I've been home brewing for about 6 months with all grain. It's been super frustrating finding things but I'm getting better with katakana words and this thread has been infinitely helpful. I'm close to doing my first all grain batch - it's for a friends wedding.... No pressure !

I saw there was a Tokyo Facebook group. Any chance I can join ?

hey every one, first post, i recently moved to yokosuka and am trying to get my footing here as far as brewing goes, I'm currently looking for a Co2 bottle and a few other things. is there anyone in the area that would be interested in meeting up for drinks/ good times?

Mike, did you ever find your CO2 bottle? Usually you can snag one at a liquor store. You pay about 5000 for deposit and 2700-3000 for the contents. Just be aware that if you are planning to hook it up to a US regulator you'll need an trhead adaptor.

Mike, did you ever find your CO2 bottle? Usually you can snag one at a liquor store. You pay about 5000 for deposit and 2700-3000 for the contents. Just be aware that if you are planning to hook it up to a US regulator you'll need an trhead adaptor.

I'm actually out of town right now but I'll be back next week, I'm doing as much research as I can before I get back so I can get cracking on a brew I'll need to find a ref as well but thank you for the info it really helps.

Hello! I'm new to Japan, specially Tokyo/Kawasaki area. I've been home brewing for about 6 months with all grain. It's been super frustrating finding things but I'm getting better with katakana words and this thread has been infinitely helpful. I'm close to doing my first all grain batch - it's for a friends wedding.... No pressure !

I saw there was a Tokyo Facebook group. Any chance I can join ?

Did any one hook you up?

Mike, I am also in Yokosuka and have been brewing here for awhile. I know right where you can get CO2 and also the adapter needed to make a US regulator fit the Japanese bottle. Tek is right on with the prices. PM me when you get back and I will give you a hand! :mug:

Plenty of posts in here about that, but basically, the 2 main online shops (brewland/sakeland and Advanced Brewing), have dry yeasts, Advanced has some liquid, and can get whatever, but quite the wait. There should be another shop opening this year as well. Other than that, pretty much every Tokyu Hands has some dry in stock.

Hey guys,here one more store,https://shop.beerbelly.com.au/
They sell almost everything if you order a lot the shipping is quiet expensive,but if you're planning to brew something special and you need liquid yeast this store is way to go!

Cheers!

The Malt Shop is getting close to opening it doors (well, it's online, so, maybe "ports" is better) and we should have a basic selection of White Labs and hoping to have monthly ordering so you can get your personal selection in as well. I'm looking to have about 16 varieties of liquid and dry yeast in stock, so watch this space.

Nice! How often to do you place the order for White Labs? I would like to make a custom order for some Belgian yeast soon.

I am shooting for a monthly order, so thinking of a mid-July deadline. Let me know and I'll put it on the order. Thanks!

Great -- thanks.

So I guess I already missed the order for June then? In that case I will adjust by brewing schedule accordingly. Looks like I'll have to brew another IPA in the meantime. :)

You didn't miss anything! I've just opened and so my initial order of yeast was for inventory. I need to place an order of 25 in order to get a price break, so the next order will be made upon getting enough preorders and selling enough out of the store to warrant placing the order. I have Saison II in stock if that helps.

Ah, that makes sense. In that case I will place my order soon.

What is the shelf life of the liquid yeast by the way? Is there any reason for me to not buy a large stock all at once?

Will you or do you carry any basic starter kits? I have someone interested in getting into home brewing on base here.

Ah, that makes sense. In that case I will place my order soon.

What is the shelf life of the liquid yeast by the way? Is there any reason for me to not buy a large stock all at once?

They give it a six month sell by date from manufacturing day. But They also state that once past that date, it is still quite viable and with the use of starter, it shouldn't be a problem after that date.

Hi guys happy brewing!What are you using for filtering wort before transferring it to primary?I went to search my local DAIKI,but couldn't find any kind of paint strainer bags.
Thank you.

tektonjp, are pickups offered so we don't have to pay shipping? If so, where are you located? I think I had some bad liquid yeast (30 hours no activity) so looking for dry but need quickly. Thanks!

Hi guys happy brewing!What are you using for filtering wort before transferring it to primary?I went to search my local DAIKI,but couldn't find any kind of paint strainer bags.
Thank you.

Large fine mesh laundry bags from Daiso or any other 100yen shop. Just make sure they are uncolored and clean them/do a super hot water soak before using. I have been using them for BIAB for a couple years now without issue and CHEAP!:rockin:

tektonjp, are pickups offered so we don't have to pay shipping? If so, where are you located? I think I had some bad liquid yeast (30 hours no activity) so looking for dry but need quickly. Thanks!

I'm a long ways from Lynnwood. :)

Seriously, I'm in Oumihachiman, Shiga-ken; just outside of Kyoto.

If you're in a rush, call me direct 090 3924 5439

I could pop something in the mail today.

Thank you.

I don't, I just dump it all in the fermenter. I've never tried filtering it so I don't know what it would be like but seems like a hassle and from what I've seen and read from experiments the beers with everything left in came out clearer and people tended to like them more. But like I said, I've never tried filtering so none of this is first hand

Thank you guys,I will try both ways.What about the bags for steeping grains, do u use same ones from daiso?Cos ordering steeping bags from Advanced brewing takes long time recently.
Thank you.

Any 100 yen should have a good selection of nylon bags. You're sure to find a size that works. I found a huge one that works for BIAB in a 36 liter pot (duffle bag shape) and use another smaller one for hops during the boil. Smaller ones often have a loop sewn in, which makes it easy to use a small hook to hang it on the edge of the pot.

Any 100 yen should have a good selection of nylon bags. You're sure to find a size that works. I found a huge one that works for BIAB in a 36 liter pot (duffle bag shape) and use another smaller one for hops during the boil. Smaller ones often have a loop sewn in, which makes it easy to use a small hook to hang it on the edge of the pot.

Thank you will definitely take your advice, what about the zipper is it safe to boil?

Personally, I don't worry about it. I guess the safest is no bag at all, but that way is such a pain to let settle and clear out before draining into the fermenter. Plus I run a mini pump during mashing and chilling, so the loose pellet hops would screw that up.

Personally, I don't worry about it. I guess the safest is no bag at all, but that way is such a pain to let settle and clear out before draining into the fermenter. Plus I run a mini pump during mashing and chilling, so the loose pellet hops would screw that up.

Thank you, will visit my local Daiso tomorrow:)

On the back of the Daiso ones there is usually a max temp listed so if you're using those in the boil I'd check that out. The ones I've seen that are for laundry usually say 90 so I don't use them in the boil cause I'm afraid stuff may leech out into the water.

@tektonjp
Would it be possible to get Yeast Bay yeast in with your White Labs order? Their yeast is supplied by White Labs and it says on their site its possible to ship from both brands together. Want to try Sigmund's Voss Kviek yeast.

Back