Need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

te3b0r

Reaction score
Hey all got some new toys for xmas to finally get this hobby off the ground but I need a little advice. I got a 30 qt Turkey Fryer kit so I can move into the AG world. I am looking at going BIAB. Will the 30 qt or 7.5 gallon pot be enough space for 5 gallons of BIAB or should I just get a MT put together instead? Also I would like to add a weldless value to the Pot so is it cheaper to buy a kit or build it myself?

30 qt = 7.5 gallons

i regularly brew with this exact setup. I don't use BIAB but you should still be ok. as far as building/buying a MT I would say yes to that. if done properly can do wonders for your brew efficiency.

+1 i use a 7.5 turkey fryer for a boil kettle and built a mashtun out of a 52qt cooler. Love it!

From my reading 7.5 gallon would be a bit small. You need to consider that you will have 5 gallons plus boil off water and then water that will be absorbed by grain= about 7.5 gallons depending on grain. Then you also have the grain in the pot. I would look in the AG posts or search for BIAB. There is a good sticky on on in AG.

I BIAB and I do use a 7.5gal pot to mash in. I sparge in another pot (or previously, I put my first runnings in another pot and sparged back in the BK) then combine the first runnings and the sparge and boil. For a normalish gravity beer, my preboil is usually around 6.75 gallons, so it's tight, but with fermcap and close attention, I can avoid boilovers.

I highly recommend the turkey fryer BIAB method for no-frills dirt cheap all-grain brewing. I don't think I'll upgrade for a very long time.

Latest posts

Back