Deception stout vs bee cave robust porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acuenca

Reaction score
I realize they are different but has anyone done a side by side? Im planning on brewing the porter soon and have the stout conditioning. The reviews make the two sound similar in alot of ways. Any one who has brewed both care to comment?

No wheat malt in the porter (which I just brewed again today), and the porter is about 30% bigger......hard for me to say, since I've never brewed the stout. I just brewed the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout clone before the porter, just to see how close it turns out.

I've brewed both and liked both of them quite a bit. I'm getting better reviews with the deception stout from the neighbors and my wife. I did the porter a couple years ago, and my process has changed/improved since, so it could be an improvement in my brewing rather than the recipe being better. Hard to say, but I'll probably do the stout again before the porter. I think the small lactose addition really helps smooth it out. I also really like the Denny's Fav yeast. I made an amber with it after the stout and it came out great as well.

I've done both but about a year apart.

The Stout was received really well by everyone who tried it.
The Porter is still conditioning and I have had one but I really enjoyed it.

I have not brewed the porter but the stout recipe is excellent. First batch went waaaaayyyy to fast so I brewed another that is in bottles now and will be ready next week. yum.

Latest posts

Back