Fermentation chamber question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

originalben

Reaction score
So, I'm currently in the midst of my first self milled BIAB brew day and as I sit here looking over the board and soakin' up the great fragrances in the air, I was thinking about increasing the size of my ferm. chamber fridge. It's a 18 cu. ft freezer on top model that is good for 2 buckets or carboys only as is.
My thought is I would remove both doors and simply attach insulated panels to the top and sides extending forward.
Would the cooling element/mechanism in the freezer need to be disabled in this instance, or is it the freezer cooling that in turn then cools the fridge to a lesser degree?

My this garage smells good...it's been tooo long.

I hope everyone's having a great day, too!

originalben I may direct your thread towards insulated panels and how I have used them to hold the cold in. I put 2 inches of rigid foam board top, bottom, sides and door and it really holds in the cold air. I don't have fans or cooling systems in there and I have to replace some frozen water bottles every morning, but I love it for fermenting lagers.

fermcbrc.jpg

What might be more helpful to you I recently read an article in an issue of BYO Magazine where a homebrewer modified the on top door for his freezer to put 2 taps in it.
Hope it helps.

I appreciate the suggestion.
What I was thinking of doing is, maybe?, similar to what you posted.

What I have been pondering, as I have started on a six of Left Hand 400lb Monkey, is, well, I personally prefer an American IPA...anyway, neither here nor coherent. Oh, yeah, there's a six of Terrpin Hopexecutioner involved as well, but she's shy.

Anyone have ideas on me making a mutant bastard ferm chamber out of a top freezer fridge?
Cause I have a couple tools, a decidedly unwise lack of fear, and a healthy/unhealthy thirst for the fermentables...Knowm sayin?

Back